Tuesday, May 18, 2010

San Antonio quick trip

We've been talking all spring about taking the boys to San Antonio; we figured Grant would enjoy Sea World, but we wanted to go before all of the big kids get out of school (and if we waited until the fall, I think I'd be too uncomfortable!).  Dean was able to take off three days last week, so we made an impromptu trip.  We drove over on Thursday, planning to go to Sea World on Friday.

During the entire drive, Grant kept insisting that we go swimming when we got there (he thought we were going straight to Sea World).  So we went to the hotel pool as soon as we checked in....it was a square pool and an entire half was only three feet deep.  It was perfect because Grant could stand up in it.  He's been taking a 6-week session of swim lessons (he had to miss the last one on Thursday), so he was able to practice his paddling and kicking with Daddy.  And he was just so proud of himself that he could stand up in the pool.


That night we ate dinner at the Riverwalk, and the boys enjoyed watching the boats ride by.  Drew is good at "b" words and he learned "boat" that night....he'd point and say "boat!" (more like "bo") over and over every time he saw one.  He also has to make sure we acknowledge him; he'll say, "mama! dada! mama dada mama dada!" until both of us look at what he's pointing to and say "oh, yeah, I see it!" 

Then we went to the Alamo....the kids were fairly unimpressed, I think!
This was the funniest thing that happened during our trip: in the "backyard" of the Alamo (you know what I'm talking about if you've been there....it's a wide open area with a few other old buildings and lots of trees), we told Grant he could play for a while.  So off he ran.  About ten seconds later, I look over to see him standing about ten feet away from us, all by himself in the lawn, with his pants and underwear pulled down to his ankles.  He was about to go pee!  We both gasped and said, "no!"  It scared him and completely embarrassed him.....he immediately started crying.  I don't make a habit of letting him go pee anywhere (although I definitely will if it's necessary), so I don't know what he was thinking!  In such a sacred place, no less!  :)

We played by some fountains on our way back to the hotel (you don't notice until you have kids how many fountains there are in the Riverwalk area).  


Friday morning we woke up to dark skies....it rained ALL morning, until about 2pm.  It was a complete downpour.....we obviously picked the wrong day to go to Sea World (and of course this was the first time it had rained in San Antonio in weeks!).  It was also about 62-64 degrees all day....and of course I hadn't brought any long-sleeved shirts or jackets for us to wear.....oops!  But we found some fun things to do instead.  First we went to the Witte Museum.....in itself it wasn't worth a visit, but they had an amazing temporary dinosaur exhibit.  I don't know if these pictures do it justice, but those dinos were extremely life-like.  The rooms were dark and the dinosaurs were LOUD!  Most of them were very scary looking, so the boys were fairly freaked out!


Then we went to the San Antonio Children's Museum.  The boys' favorite areas were the grocery store and the life-sized airplane that they could sit in.  Drew thought he was such a big boy, throwing groceries into his own cart!

We ate dinner on the Riverwalk again that night, then got the boys a treat for being so well-behaved at dinner.  They LOVED this dipped cone from DQ, although neither of them wanted to give it up when it was the other's turn (of course).  Drew dove into it with each bite, but he thoroughly enjoyed his first ice cream cone!


Drew is really sick today....he's had a 101 to 103 degree fever since last night.  So all day today he's just wanted to be held.  Poor thing....he doesn't seem to have a tummy ache but he obviously just doesn't feel well.

And tomorrow is Grant's last day of school.  Oh no!!  I haven't explained to him that school's about to be out for the summer, but I know he's going to be disappointed next week when he can't go see his friends.  It's hard to believe that the year is over and summer is basically here! 

5 comments:

katy said...

Wow, girl -- you've been busy! Sounds like a fun trip, and it looks like the boys did a great job! Peeing at the Alamo, huh? A perfect story to tell his one-day fiance! :)

Lindsay said...

how fun! Apparently the last time it rained is San Antonio was when WE went!! :)

Sara said...

Ooooh, fun! I love the Alamo story - that's AWESOME!

And I must say your little belly is looking cute!! But I am slightly jealous that you're not showing more - I looked at least 6+ months pregnant by 18 weeks with Livi!

Danielle said...

What a fun family trip! And I agree with Katy - good story for future fiance. I hope Drew feel better soon. I have noticed that after a busy weekend full of excitement, Melissa usually isn't herself for the next few days. Hopefully this will wear off soon.

Erin said...

I don't know if this will make you feel better or worse... but Grant wouldn't have been the first one to pee at/on the Alamo. Ozzy Osbourne did it in 1982.

Don't ask me how I know that - my best guess is that somebody told me during my high school band trip to San Antonio! (You know how wild those band kids can be...) ;-)

(If you want to see the story, just google "Ozzy Alamo")