We tried giving Grant some pieces of solid banana the other night. He LOVES jarred bananas, so I thought he would enjoy it! And I keep reading that babies this age (8 months) can start to feed themselves table foods like fruits, Cheerios and toast. So I mashed a banana into small pieces and set it on his food tray. He played with it a little bit but didn't have any idea that it was food. So I took a piece and placed it in his mouth, and he made a few yucky faces, followed by gagging! We tried a couple more pieces and he did it every time....the third time he even threw up a little bit after gagging! Of course that made me feel awful that I had kept pushing it! I think the texture of it was just so weird to him, and his body thought it was some kind of foreign object that wasn't supposed to be in his mouth.
I guess we'll try something different next time, but maybe I'll give it another week or so. Grant loves his oatmeal cereal and his pureed baby foods, so I guess he's not going to starve if he doesn't eat table foods for a while. And since I'm so worried about him choking on something, it doesn't bother me to wait a while!
January Lessons
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment