Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Grant, future La Leche League member

Grant has been saying some funny things lately.  One that I've been meaning to share on the blog happened one day last week.  The boys were playing in the backyard and I brought Molly outside to feed her.  Grant asked, "can I watch you feed Molly?  That's so cute.  When you feed the baby, it's so beautiful."

It's funny because of the two boys, Drew is definitely the most affectionate towards Molly.  He constantly wants to give her kisses and hugs, while Grant basically ignored his little brother when he was born (he does love Molly and gives her a lot more attention than he gave Drew as a baby).  But even though their personalities are totally different, Grant has his gentle side that we see every once in a while!

Things have gotten a little bit harder.....Molly was super fussy last week.  Basically, if she was awake (and not eating), she was upset.  I think no matter how many newborns you've had, you never really figure them out.  So it's hard to know what to do with her when she's upset and nothing seems to work.  She's been spitting up a lot, so I wonder if it could be reflux?  My other thought was colic.  But she doesn't seem to be quite as extreme as the descriptions of colic I've read on the internet- we've definitely never had any three-hour nonstop crying episodes.  Thankfully she still sleeps a lot....and she can't be fussy while she's asleep!

Still, it's been hard keeping up with laundry and other things when I'm dealing with a fussy baby and two crazy boys.  I don't feel completely overwhelmed all the time, but I definitely get behind on chores.  And it drives me crazy to walk around and see all the clutter around the house......and the laundry that needs to be done....and the furniture that has dust caked on it....and not have the free hands to do anything about it!  I have to remind myself that this is just a stage, and I need to spend time enjoying my kids.....not making sure my house is always immaculate. 

The boys go to school on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and we've mostly spent every other day here at home.  Before Molly was born, I had to get out of the house with the boys every day or I'd go crazy.  But it's really crazy taking them all out with me.  So we usually do that once per week, and spend the rest of the time at home.  I enjoy my coffee in the morning and the boys spend a lot of time in the backyard!  Ideally, I'd think of lots of fun activities for the boys to do.  But I haven't really figured this out yet.....it's hard thinking of things that both boys are old enough to enjoy and that won't create huge messes.  So for now, they mostly just play with their toys, chase each other around the house, get into fights, and watch more tv than they should!  :)

2 comments:

katy said...

"So for now, they mostly just play with their toys, chase each other around the house, get into fights, and watch more tv than they should!"

-- Sounds to me like you're doing a great job!!! This is what little boys do. Don't stress yourself out trying to fill their every moment with activities. You are doing just fine, and I bet they come up with all sorts of scenarios for keeping busy!

Been wondering how you are!

Rob and Leah said...

You are doing great balancing everything! I love the title of the post and Grant's comments. That's so funny!!