Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Not quite like I expected.....

Yesterday at Grant's school they had the preschool Christmas program. This is Grant's first year officially in "preschool," so his class was the youngest of all of the classes participating. I was so excited about it.....you see this portrayed in movies all the time, where moms and dads sit in the audience proudly watching their child singing, and it's almost more fun if they don't do exactly what they're supposed to do. Grant has never been in front of a big group, so I had no idea what to expect.

So Drew and I got there a few minutes early and sat along the middle aisle, where all the classes would be coming in. I wanted to videotape Grant walking in with his class. A few minutes later, all the older kids filed in, then Grant's class walked in last. Grant was holding his teacher's hand, and he saw me as he got close to my row. Without hesitating, he turned and started walking in to sit with me. His teachers tried to grab him to take him with them, but he started screaming and crying. So to avoid a scene, I just told his teachers I'd take him.

At the same time this was happening, I was thinking, "no! He can't do this! He needs to go stand up there at the front so I can watch him perform! That's why we're here! This isn't supposed to happen!" I tried talking him into going up there, but he would have none of it. His teacher Ms. Machelle tried coming back after the first song, but he refused to go with her. And I know Grant.....he would have screamed and made a huge scene if we had dragged him up there at that point.

So anyway, I was frustrated for a few minutes....mostly at myself for sitting there right where he could see me! I never thought he would react that way.....he seems to be over the "there's Mommy....I need her!" stage. But maybe the whole situation was just a little weird for him.

We stayed until the program was over, then went to Grant's classroom for his Christmas party. The kids ate lunch, and Drew was hungry too....he found an empty seat at a table full of girls, and he sat there and waited for some food! Then he'd stand up and walk around and try taking food from other kids' plates. It's pretty funny to watch....I guess he's too young to be bashful- he'll just go after anything he wants! He also tried taking Grant's brownie out of his hands....and this led to a slightly embarrassing yelling match between Grant and Drew. Thankfully most of the moms there have more than one child and have been through that themselves!

1 comments:

katy said...

I'm sorry things didn't go how you expected. I can totally sympathize with this -- NOTHING seems to go how I plan anymore. C'est la vie, I guess. The flip side is that you have a little guy who loves you so much he'd rather be in your lap than with his friends. Frustrating and awesome at the same time.