A few weeks ago Grant would resist if/when I tried to get him to wear his backpack into or out of school. "No! It's too heavy, Mommy! You carry it!" But he must have noticed some big kids wearing backpacks, and now all of a sudden he thinks it's really cool. I'm so accustomed to carrying it now that I usually never even ask him....but today we were halfway to the door of his school when he said, "I want to wear my backpack!"
And my goodness....he's still completely obsessed with my iPod, constantly asking me where it is and asking if he can bring it to me (even after I tell him it's in my pocket). I mean, this lasts all day long....he asks about it probably, on average, once every hour while he's awake (and while we're at home).
I bought some iPod protectors at WalMart recently, and the package came with a little piece of paper that looks just like an iPod. He stuck it inside one of my extra protectors, and wow....I had visions of what to expect my little boy to look like in 12 years! He wanted to wear his backpack, and he walked around pretending to type and push buttons. He was so very proud of himself! He referred to it as "my iPod" and it was perfect because it took his attention away from mine. Unfortunately, one day he really made me mad when we were in the car, and later that day I found his iPod on the floor of the van. Still angry from earlier in the day, I threw it in the trash! But its original thrill must have worn out anyway (he's usually obsessed with something like this for a few days, then he's on to something else), because he has never mentioned anything about it since.And by the way, he is always clarifying to me that he's a big boy (when I mention something to him about being a sweet little boy, or something like that). He'll correct me and tell me that Drew's little, but "I'm the big brother." When we pass elementary schools, he'll say "I'm gonna go to a school like that when I'm bigger." It's interesting seeing him develop a sense of where he belongs....he's definitely bigger than Drew, but he's not as big as those kids at the "big kid" school!
January Lessons
10 years ago
6 comments:
He is learning fast! I'm loving the "Big brothers rock" shirt! :-)
Wow, they grow up so fast! Before you know it, he really will be in the big kids school.
They are so funny when they start acting/thinking/believing they are "grown."
Oh man -- the idea that they want to grow up so fast kind of breaks my heart!!
I love your new blog header picture! Grant is getting so big. He looks so into his little fake iphone...he will probably love video games someday. I am glad to know Ava is not the only child that wants everything she can't have....she has a room full of toys and wants my book, laptop, phone.....anything but the toys! The junk drawer idea is great. So funny!
So cute!!
Post a Comment