This past month or so has been tough on mommy and daddy in the sleeping department! Grant's still having a hard time with waking up in the middle of the night, sometimes multiple times in one hour!! For a while I just lived with it, thinking it was maybe just a short phase he was going through. Then two weeks ago, he developed a cold, so I thought maybe that's why he was continuing to have problems (because he was having a hard time breathing through his nose). But now that we're home from our trip and he's pretty much over his little cold, we've decided that we need to try to break this habit. On Friday night, I had already gone in his room two or three times, and I figured out that there really wasn't anything wrong. When I go in there, he grabs my fingers and holds on so tightly, and when I break away from him to leave, he'll just SCREAM!! But realistically, I can't stand there over his crib until he goes to sleep every time he does it, especially when it's five times per night! So on Friday, I just left him, went back to our room and turned the volume on the monitor down, thinking I'd just let him cry for 20 minutes or so. Well, I fell asleep, and the next thing I knew it was hours later! I looked at the monitor and he had moved up to the top of his crib and was laying on his side. He was asleep, but I felt awful not knowing how long he had cried. But he still seemed to like us just the same that morning, so I guess we didn't cause any permanent damage!
So the past couple of nights I've done the same thing....I've gone in there once or twice, just so he knows I'm here, then I leave and don't come back. I wonder if it's a bad idea to go in there at all, and whether I just confuse him by not reacting the same way consistently. I guess I'll see if this method works, then get more harsh if I need to!
Anyway, the cutest part about the whole thing is that Grant is now COMPLETELY hoarse after crying so much for the past few nights. I've never heard him sound this way....every noise he makes doesn't quite sound normal, and his little cry is so cute! I just hope that he doesn't have a sore throat from it all. Hopefully he'll just give in and realize that it's much easier to go back to sleep than to work himself up by crying!
January Lessons
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment