Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Three!

November 18, 2006:


First birthday:


Second birthday:

My big boy is three today! Wow! Three seems way too old for my little guy.......who, by the way, is still quite addicted to his pacifier and still isn't potty trained! Like most moms of little kids, I hear multiple times per week (at stores, at church, at the park) from older moms saying that it goes by so fast, telling me to enjoy every moment when they're little, etc. Of course I know this is true, but I think part of me still believes that this toddler/preschooler age is never going to end. I just can't picture my kids as 8 and 9 year olds! And in a lot of ways, I don't want to!! We definitely have our challenges right now....anyone who knows me knows this! But the boys are so sweet and fun right now too, and lately I've been noticing the days just slipping by so quickly. So I feel like I'm starting to get a sense of the brevity of my kids' childhood.....and I know that before I know it, I'll be one of those older moms!

This morning Grant came downstairs and noticed his wrapped presents sitting next to the fireplace. This is definitely the first year he's grasped the concept (he was too little even last Christmas). We picked up donut holes on the way to school for his class to eat for their snack (I tried making chocolate chip cookies last night but they ended up way too flimsy for 3-year-olds. So we will have to eat them ourselves!). Then Drew and I had a good time at Sam's while Grant was at school. I finally became a Sam's member! Drew had a blast looking at toys and frozen foods. We found a really cool car for Grant for Christmas (and bought a couple extras for gifts). Then on our way back to pick Grant up, we were 20 minutes late because Bay Area Blvd was down to ONE lane at a fairly large intersection (for construction). At lunchtime!! And no police officer directing traffic. This infuriates me because the traffic is backed up for a mile (just in one direction), and the lights are timed just as they normally are. Then about a mile from this huge backup, I see a cop sitting in his car waiting to pull people over for speeding!

Anyway, after picking Grant up and apologizing profusely to his teachers, we got into the car, and what does Grant notice? The new cars sitting in the back of the van! I knew I should have hidden them. He asked me to get them out when we got home, but I rushed the boys inside and he didn't ask about it again. He tends to remember things like that, so hopefully he'll forget about this one.

Off to make Grant's cake.....hopefully before my 45-minute napper Drew wakes up.....

And....we had a great time in Alabama. It's been busy and I haven't had a chance to write about it yet. Hopefully soon....

3 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

Happy birthday Grant!

Sara said...

Happy Birthday, Grant!! So glad you've been having a good week - here's hoping it continues.

katy said...

Happy birthday, Grant! Wow -- a three year old, already! Time does fly. :)