Wednesday, August 11, 2010

New floors, etc.

The closer I get to having this baby, the less motivated I am to write on the blog.  I only have probably 8 or 9 weeks left (I turned 30 weeks on Monday), so during the boys' naps I'm always either resting or working on one of my many still-unfinished projects! 

Last week mostly centered around our new floors!  We had wood floors installed in our formal living and dining rooms (where we previously had carpet), and tile installed in our master and guest bathrooms (where we previously had carpet and linoleum).  We think they all look great!  I will hopefully post some before and after pictures at some point this week.

Some other things we did last week:

The boys have recently discovered how fun it is to pull all the cushions off the couch in our formal living room.  They jump and scream and tackle each other on it.  We probably made a horrible decision from the very beginning by allowing them to jump on it (they jump on most of the furniture in our house.....bad Mommy and Daddy!).  But this couch really is a piece of junk.....it still looks okay from far away, but it has cat pee stains on one of the sides and cat scratch marks all over the rest of it (one of the reasons why this cat no longer is allowed inside our house).  Here Drew is screaming and Grant's covering his ears and screaming right back:


On Tuesday (the day before the floors were going to be installed, and I knew we'd be stuck at the house for the rest of the week) the boys and I went to the Children's Museum.  The boys had fun splashing around and playing in the outdoor water area.  Every day last week was so incredibly hot, with almost no clouds in the sky.  I felt like I was melting out there at 10:30am!  We didn't stay too long.....the newest wing of the museum was closed because the A/C was broken, so all of the open sections were really crowded (and most areas of the museum are a little advanced for the boys anyway).

On Wednesday morning (the day the guys were coming to start on our floors), we went to Wal-Mart to buy some materials to make our own play-doh.  I have all of these good intentions of doing fun activities with the boys, but now almost the entire summer is over and I haven't done any of them!  So many days we just end up doing the same old thing, so last week I wanted to try extra hard to try some of those fun things I've been meaning to do for weeks. 

So the boys had fun mixing the ingredients and making the play-doh, but it just didn't harden up the way it was supposed to.  So instead I just took out our regular store-bought stuff and let them play for a while.  They had fun for about 30 minutes, and I don't think it ended in a screaming fight or a huge mess.....so I guess I would consider it a success!


Might as well begin the political indoctrination at an early age!

On Thursday morning, we made a "bubble bath" in the sand/water table in our backyard.  I don't know what I was thinking.....I made bubbles out of our dish soap instead of using their (tear-free) bubble bath.  Drew only got it in his eyes once, and thankfully it didn't seem to bother him much.  They had fun dropping their cars into the bubbles and then trying to find them.  It was a fun way to spend some time that we'd normally be watching cartoons.



Also, on Sunday night we convinced Grant to sleep through the night without a diaper.  He's been potty trained for months, and he never wets the bed during naps.  But for some reason we've continued using diapers at night, not really wanting to deal with changing wet sheets in the middle of the night.  But for three straight nights, he has done great!  Every morning he wakes up dry, and he claims that he wakes up during the night to go potty (he never wakes us up, so I don't know for sure).  We are so proud of him!   Today I told him we could go buy a toy because he's been doing so well sleeping in his underwear, and he said, "yay!  I can't wait to tell Daddy!"  We went to Target and he picked out a "karate chop" Buzz Lightyear (he's on a major Toy Story kick even though he hasn't seen the newest one). 

Hopefully I'll post some before and after pictures of our new floors in the next couple of days....

6 comments:

katy said...

Love it! The picture of your boys staring at Sarah Palin is seriously cracking me up! Too funny.

Sounds like a lot of recent fun at your house. Can't wait to see pics of the floors!

Unknown said...

Wow! You are so creative! Can I come play at your house? Bubbles and play-doh and Sarah Palin - what more could two well-educated young men ask for? Steve and I both laughed over the Sarah Palin pic. We also love the pictures of the boys that are hanging up at Steve I and Cheryl's house. Stay cool!

-Jennifer Sloan

Summer Says... said...

You've been a busy Momma! I can't wait to see the pictures of your floors. I think you'll love the wood. We had them in our house growing up and my parents could barely wait to pull the carpet up in this house to lay wood again. In fact, my mom would really like to take the tile out and lay the wood through the rest of the house, but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

My nephew is totally on a Toy Story kick - even before we took them to see the new one. Must be some very effective marketing.

Danielle said...

Please post pictures of the floors! And it looks like the boys have had a lot of fun activities recently!

Kier's Serendipity said...

As you know, our search for flooring has begun. What did you go with?

Also, I absolutely adore the picture of the boys watching Sarah Palin. That is cracking me up!

Alissa said...

Kristin: we chose engineered wood, 5-inch planks. It was only a dollar more per square foot (installed) than the laminate, so we figured it was a no-brainer. It's hand-scraped too....meaning that it has some natural ridges, which supposedly help with concealing scratches and dents that the boys will put in it!

Summer: we actually considered ripping out the tile in the rest of our first floor, and replacing all of it. But then we decided it would be wiser to just start with those two rooms, then we can add more later. I've never had wood floors before but I am already addicted too!

Jennifer: I promise you that our house is usually not that much fun! My boys just like to be active, and it's really hard for me to sit down with Grant and do a structured activity. I'm realizing that I could NEVER homeschool him...he just doesn't care to learn from me at all (at this point, at least).