Friday, September 24, 2010

Drew at two years old....and baby update

My little two-year-old!


First, I went to my doctor yesterday for my 36 week checkup.  I'm 3cm dilated now.  I wasn't counting on having this baby any earlier than 38 weeks, so hopefully I can still make it another ten days (I'll be 37 weeks this coming Monday).  I'm definitely in hurry-up mode now, though.....I still have a lot of things I want to do before the baby's born.  And I know I'm not mentally ready; we've been so busy and having a new baby seems like something that should still be months away. 
 
Drew had his two year checkup today.   He wasn't happy with the nurse for pricking his finger (to test his blood count), so it made him nervous when the doctor came in.  It's funny......I always refer to him as my "little guy" and it is definitely true!  Grant's always been near the top of the percentile charts in height (not necessarily weight).  Drew is the opposite; he's 34 inches tall, which puts him at the 44th percentile.  And he weighs 26.5 pounds (28th percentile).  He's around the 90th percentile for his head!  Our doctor told us that, according to statistics, he'll most likely be shorter than Grant as an adult, probably more of an average height.  He got his Hep A vaccine and flu shot, and they also gave Grant his flu shot (I wasn't expecting this, but with a baby coming she said it's better to do it now than to wait for his 4-year checkup in November).  Grant wasn't excited when he found out this piece of news; and he cried as I set him on the table, but of course it really wasn't too bad when it was over.  We got Frostys at Wendy's on our way home, so I think the shots were worth the treat for them.

Some notable things about Drew at 2 years:

- Has just learned how to turn the knob to open his bedroom door.  He sleeps in a twin bed now, so he'll sometimes come out of his room after we put him to bed (usually we hear him and put him back).  But last night Dean went upstairs to get ready for bed and Drew was sprawled out asleep right in the middle of our bedroom floor, with Kitty and Brownie laying beside him. 

- Eats cereal from a bowl, and does pretty well drinking from cups.  If Grant is drinking from a real cup, don't even think about trying to hand Drew a sippy cup. They both love drinking from straws too.

- He's putting a few two-word phrases together.  He's always said "ba" for "up" and "ah-yah" for Brownie, but now he actually says "up" correctly.   And the other day, he said "brownie" and it sounded basically right.  But then he got embarrassed and said "ah-yah" immediately afterwards.  I guess that feels more comfortable to him!

- Likes putting Kitty down for "night-night" (at all times of the day), and will put Brownie on top of him while he "sleeps."

- Some of his favorite characters: Elmo (even though we hardly ever watch Sesame Street), Buzz and Woody,  and Ariel (both boys love Ariel, and Grant will always point her out to Drew when we see pictures of her at stores).

- Hops like a frog on the floor and says "hop, hop, hop" as he goes.

- He's doing a little better at school, but he's still having a hard time.  He's the lone crier in his class now (as of yesterday).   He and another little boy named Will were the holdouts, and they seemed to feed off of each other.  But Will had a good day yesterday, so their teachers are hoping that Drew will stop crying next week.  Poor thing.....when I'm getting the boys dressed in the morning, Drew can tell that we're about to go to school and he'll just stand there and cry.  It's so pitiful.  He doesn't cry in the car on the way to school, but then he'll start crying after we've dropped Grant off and we're on our way to his room.  Poor thing....I hope he starts having fun soon.

- He calls us Mommy and Daddy now instead of Mama and Dada.

- The boys love those Progressive Insurance commercials on TV.  They hardly ever understand the humor (especially Drew), but they throw their heads back and laugh hysterically every time (just because they know it's supposed to be funny.....apparently.  Dean and I think they are mostly stupid!).

- He understands the concept of "two" now.  If he has two objects in his hand, he'll hold them out and say "two."  He also knows that he's two years old now.  Good thing he happens to be two and not three, because two is the only number he knows!

- He tries to be a carbon copy of his big brother.  He throws fits just the way he sees Grant do it (great!), and he'll immediately repeat funny things that Grant says (in his own way).  He laughs at Grant and loves when they run around and chase each other.....for a few minutes, at least (until a fight inevitably starts).  Grant takes on the role of big brother very well; he likes to tell Drew what to do as if he's in charge.  Then he'll say, "okay?" or "do you understand me?" and Drew will say, "yeah" or "okay."  It's always really funny to me when they have these little "conversations" with each other.

1 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

I think you need to keep that baby in till about October 18th. :)