Tuesday, September 7, 2010

First few days of school

 The boys started school last Tuesday!  Hallelujah!  Last week they only stayed from 9am to noon each day, but today they're staying until 2pm.  Grant has done wonderfully; he wasn't very excited about going to a different classroom with different teachers this year (especially when he found out that his friend Josh wasn't in his class), but every day he walks right in and doesn't even look back. 

Drew, on the other hand, is having a hard time, which I expected.  Last Tuesday and Thursday he just screamed when I took him to his room (most of the other kids are also screaming, which doesn't help!).  His teachers said on Thursday that he did much better than Tuesday (he especially did well on the buggy ride, which is weird because he's always hated buggy rides).  So this morning, I kept talking to him about school, telling him that there's no reason to cry because he knows that I'm coming back.  And his teachers love him, and he has so many fun friends to play with, etc.   And when I'd ask if he was going to cry, he'd shake his head or say "no."   So it broke my heart when I took him to his room (of the five kids in there, four were screaming), and I could tell he wanted to cry but was trying to be a big boy and hold back the tears.  He reached his arms out for Ms. Lynne when she came to the door (still not crying).  But as she took a couple of steps back into the room, I was about to walk away when I could see him looking at all the other kids, and I'm pretty sure he was starting to cry too.  So I must say that it was a little bit difficult walking away from there, knowing that he was trying to be brave but was just not sure about being there!

But I must say, it has been SO NICE coming home today and having all morning to get things done at the house all by myself!  I'm still trying to finish up some projects before the baby's born.  Having some separation from each other for ten hours a week will be good for all three of us, I think.

Some pictures from the first day of school: 





1 comments:

Rebecca & Tucker said...

Aww, such a cute story of your brave little boy! I'm glad you're getting some time to get things ready for your baby girl!