Saturday, December 15, 2007

He likes milk!

We've had a bit of trouble getting Grant to drink cow's milk. He just didn't like it! We started trying to give it to him since shortly before his first birthday. But every time I'd put some in his sippy cup, he'd take one sip, make a yucky face (and usually let it all fall out of his mouth!), and throw the sippy cup to the side. I didn't expect that he would dislike it, but our doctor said this can be common in breastfed babies. I'm still breastfeeding him twice a day, although it doesn't even seem like he's really attached to it anymore....I don't even think he'd notice if I stopped altogether. (By the way, the thought of this would have made me really sad six months ago, but I think I'll have an easier time with it than I would've thought back then.) But I just don't want to wean him completely until I'm sure that he's drinking enough cow's milk.

Well, once in a while I'll make him a bowl of cereal in the morning, and I'll let the milk get nice and sugary while the cereal sits in it for a while. He loves eating cereal, and he doesn't mind when I spoon little bits of milk into his mouth (obviously it tastes much better when sitting in sugar!). So then I'll pour the milk into his sippy cup and let him drink it. Last Thursday was the third or fourth time I've done this, and he drank and drank and drank! I even poured some regular milk into it, and he drank that too! Then that night, Dean gave him some more, and he apparently drank it up! Yay!!! Maybe he's finally decided it's not too bad. We need to get some more today at the store and see whether this continues.....

1 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

I can't get Evan to drink regular milk either. Maybe I should try something like this!