Tuesday, December 4, 2007

More, please!

Here is a picture of Grant walking....unrelated to the rest of this post! I will post some more walking pictures eventually!
Grant learned the sign for "more" and did it back to me on Sunday! It was quite exciting and unexpected, because I don't model it for him very often. I'd read about baby signing a while back (before he was ready for it) and the only one I distinctly remember is "more, please" (tapping your fingers together). So sometimes when I'm feeding Grant, I'll ask if he wants more and I'll do the sign. But for the longest time, he'd just stare at my hands with a confused look on his face! I thought that he'd never get it and must just think I'm crazy, especially because I'm not very consistent about doing it.

But on Sunday night while we were eating dinner, I asked if he wanted more, and I did the sign, and he did it back to me!! He did it a few more times that night too. Then yesterday when he was eating his morning snack of banana, I asked if he wanted more (but didn't make the sign myself) and he did the sign! What a smart baby! :) The only problem is that he doesn't really know what it means yet. He knows to tap his hands together when I say "more," but he'll do it whether he really wants more or not!


Other news.....Grant has a bad cold (yes, another one!). It started last Thursday, when he coughed a few times and it sounded like he had something caught in his throat. The cough continued on Friday, when, incidentally, we were going in for his 1-year checkup anyway (more about that in the next post). Our doctor told us that they've seen a lot of kids come in with these symptoms...it starts as a bad cough and ends up in their chests. She said that if we notice wheezing again (like what happened in May when he developed bronchiolitis), that we should bring him in so he can undergo the Nebulizer treatments again. Oh no!!!

He's acting like normal for the most part....maybe a little more fussy and clingy, but he is still enjoying his newfound walking ability in spite of his cold. He just doesn't have much of an appetite....he isn't breastfeeding as much, and at meals he'll hardly eat anything before he wants to get down (he still loves his processed cheese but doesn't even want fruit, which is unusual!). On Saturday, I was at a baby shower for much of the day. So when I got home, we decided to go out for dinner. I fed Grant some bread and meat before our food came, and a couple of times he coughed and gagged on his food. The first couple of times made me a little nervous, but then he gagged again and threw up some of what he had just eaten, then started crying. So we asked for our food to go and left immediately....poor baby, I feel so bad for him. He's done this a few times since then....it seems weird that a cold could make him do that, but maybe his throat just gets irritated or something.

This was a little long and graphic, so I'm sorry to anyone who may have just lost their appetite! Hopefully the cold will go away on its own in the next few days so we don't have to make another trip to the doc!

1 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

Hope he feels better soon!