It takes me a while to get to my point, so hang on.....it's coming.....
Like I'm sure all little boys his age, Grant is mesmerized when he sees machines of any kind. We'll drive down the highway and he'll spot a tractor driving on the side of the road, and stare at it in amazement! Or we'll go to a shopping center where the lawnmen are using weedeaters or anything else that makes loud noises, and he could stare at them for hours. And he loves watching all the big trucks and machines at any construction area. Those are things that, as a girl, I barely notice. I never even think about looking at them until I see Grant staring at them!
Anyway, the other day, we went to Wal-Mart and were shopping in the kids' area. Two older men were operating a scissor lift (Dean had to tell me what this was called later that night!) to hang kids' bikes up. Knowing that Grant likes that kind of stuff, I noticed it and turned the cart so he could watch them. One of the men told me, "most little boys love to watch us do this, but the baby girls don't even notice." That didn't surprise me at all.....as a little girl, I don't think I ever would've cared to turn an eye towards something like that!
And of course he loves to play with his cars and trucks at home. One of his favorite books right now is called "Trucks." We brought it home from my parents' house a while back (I guess Rob used to look at it, although I don't remember it at all). It was published in 1976, and it has no words.....just pictures of all kids of trucks (animated). Grant LOVES looking at it over and over again! He also has a words book, divided up into different sections. The page about cars/trucks/planes is by far his favorite; he will open to that page and stare and point at all of the pictures.
So.....all of this stuff has really made me realize how much different boys and girls are, even when they're less than two years old! Grant is definitely into boy stuff....which is great!
But.....I'm finally getting to my point.....at the same time, he can be so sweet and tender-hearted. We always keep a few stuffed animals in his crib, and sometimes when I put him down to sleep, he'll grab them and give them each big hugs. I used to think maybe he just did this because he knows I think it's cute. But the other night, I put him to bed and went to our bedroom to watch him on the video monitor. He always plays in his crib for a while before going to sleep. Sure enough, he went over to his animals, grabbed each of them and gave them hugs, one by one. It was so sweet to watch!!
So that's one of the many reasons why I love my sweet little guy. He's definitely all boy and can be as defiant as anybody, but he still has a mushy side to him!!
January Lessons
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment