Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Potty training- done! (for the most part)

Grant did a remarkably good job with potty training.....I would say that we're mostly done, except for at naptime and bedtime. I've been so relieved (no pun intended!) at how easy it's been, maybe because we didn't try to start him too early. Since he started wearing underwear a few months ago, he's had just a handful of accidents. I always envisioned potty training being this months-long process of hurrying to the toilet every half-hour, changing wet underwear four times daily, etc. Thankfully it wasn't like that. If he has a diaper on, he will never go into the bathroom or tell us that he has to go. He just uses the diaper. That's why I never used pull-ups with him; I figured he would just treat them as diapers (and very expensive diapers, at that!). So we just went straight to underwear, and now I'm glad we did.

Now when he has to go potty, he just disappears into the bathroom, and usually doesn't even say anything to us. He doesn't like for us to help him, and will tell us to leave if we try to come in! Until recently he'd strip completely naked (except for his shirt) before climbing onto the toilet, even though I tried to show him how to just pull his pants and underwear down. Just before Christmas, I sent him to school with underwear for the first time. When I picked him up, his teacher said, "he took all of his clothes off when he went to the bathroom!" Oops! I hope he didn't walk back out into his classroom naked waist-down when he was finished (like he does at home!).

Anyway, I know his teachers have worked with him on this, and now he's gotten better about leaving his clothes on. And he still comes out of the bathroom exclaiming, "I went pee-pee/poopy in the potty! Now can I have some candy?" (We've rewarded him with candy from the very beginning of this process, so now he still expects it. The problem is that Drew also wants candy whenever he sees Grant get some. I feel like I'm giving out candy all day!) Grant's current favorite candy is Starbursts......he tells us that he should receive one piece for going pee-pee, and two for poopy. But we're trying to phase this down considerably......that is a lot of sugar!

And one last thing.....I have also been really pleasantly surprised how well Grant does when we're out. We'll go to do errands and he might mention to me that he has to go pee-pee. So I'll ask him to try to wait.....and sometimes it's a while before we finally find a restroom. But he always seems to do fine. I guess this proves that he was just at the right age. So glad to have Grant's diaper days mostly behind us!

3 comments:

Melissa said...

yeah for potty training! That is great! congrats...
Hey- I was looking at this website raising Godly tomatoes (a suggestion from a friend of mine) and I thought it might be something you would be interested in taking a look at...
are you coming on Saturday night?

Alissa said...

Melissa: interesting! I've never seen this one. I was just reading about it a little bit, but haven't gotten to any of the strategy sections. I will take all of the good advice I can get, though....it looks like it has some applicable stuff. Thanks!!

And yes, I am coming on Satuday. I never replied on FB but I will be there! See you then!!

Sara said...

Woohoo: Way to go!! Now you can spend all that money that used to go to diapers on yourself instead ;)