I'm not one of those people who usually gets especially excited about a new year.....if I make a resolution, it's just in my head, and not something that I hold myself accountable to. But this year, I feel like I'm genuinely excited about putting 2009 behind me and making a fresh start in a lot of ways.
2009 was just plain hard.....of course we had many great moments I'll remember for the rest of my life. But oh my......I never thought day-to-day life could get so frustrating! And then when I felt so very frustrated, something else would happen on top of that! At the beginning of the year, Grant had just turned two, and Drew was 3 months old. Life with two kids wasn't too hard yet, because Drew was still such a little baby and slept so much. But around March, I remember starting to feel overwhelmed.....now I had two kids with two different schedules. And Grant (my very strong-willed boy anyway) was a two-year-old, meeting all expectations of the horrible behaviors associated with that age!
When I look back, I think the hardest part for me in transitioning from one to two kids was the change in my free time. And I'm starting to get used to this.....now Drew is a toddler and he and Grant play together a lot. So I can get some things done while they're playing. And at least they nap together....and Drew's naps seem to be getting a little bit longer now (knock on wood!).
And mostly, I'm just trying to remember that this is such a short stage, in the scheme of things. Instead of worrying about falling behind on scrapbooking/documenting their lives, I need to just enjoy them when they're little. And instead of feeling sorry for myself that every trip inside of a store has to be super short (no time for browsing these days!), I try to remind myself that in less than five years, the boys will both be in school and I'll have all the time I want to look around a store. And I'll probably wish I could go back to these years again (well, maybe not....we'll have to see!).
So one of my goals for 2010 is to really maximize the time I spend with my kids....to try to think of fun, out-of-the-box things to do. Because we have so much fun when we do stuff like this....it's just hard to think of those things on a moment's notice.
Here are a few more "resolutions" that have come to mind.....although maybe "goals" would be a better word. I am not completely resolved to doing these, but it would sure be nice! And maybe since I'm writing them, I will hold myself more accountable to them:
1. Read two classic novels. I read Jane Eyre when I was pregnant with Drew, and I LOVED it! In 2009 I hardly read anything. I'm thinking I might read a Charles Dickens book first....
2. Invite people over to our house for dinner once a month.
3. Read my Bible somewhat regularly! It has been so hard to do this with little kids....I barely can drag myself out of bed when they wake up (at 6:30). Then during their naps, I have all these other things I want to get done....you know, important things like blogging! But seriously, when I try to take a break and read my Bible during naps, it's hard for me to focus because I am thinking of my list of other things running through my head.....
4. Figure out a better system for storing/enhancing pictures. I want to use Picasa but I'm still a bit confused by it....it seems like it has so little space, and I take tons of pictures. Erin P, if you're reading this, I might need your help with this....
5. I also want to use the blog to record funny or memorable things that happen day-to-day. Two years ago at new year's I saw an idea in a magazine: it suggested blogging about one great thing that happens every day, even if it's just something funny your three-year old says. I've always wanted to do this. I'm not hoping to do this every day, but I want to at least make some attempt!
Happy New Year, everyone!!!
January Lessons
10 years ago
6 comments:
Sounds like a respectable, and reasonable list to me! I hope 2010 is just wonderful for you, Alissa. Sounds like you're feeling more confident these days, and I love that!!!
I love your list o things to do this year! And yes, the jotters are little purse or glovebox sized notebooks for jotting things down here and there. : )
I use Picasa and so far it's had plenty of storage for me and I take a lot of picts too! I think that Kelli uses picasa too! I have 4 years worth of photos on mine!
Great to see you reflecting on how far you've come! Good Job!
As for Picasa, I'd be happy to give you a private lesson on how to use it. It holds all you pics. The WebAlbums is what has limited space. But I just bought 20GB for $5 a year. Cheap! Call me and we'll schedule something. JHP's in 4 days per week this month.
Happy New Year! You're a wonderful mom to the cutest kids in the whole world. Good luck on the resolutions!
Oh boy... I'm looking forward to having two kids!!
I love this post! I'm sorry I don't comment as much anymore - I read everything via Google Reader now and you can't comment. :( You've made it through a hard year and I have no doubt it will only get better!
Post a Comment