Yesterday I took Drew to the doctor to get her opinion on what I suspected was a hernia in his groin. Sure enough, she looked at it, pressed on it and confirmed that's what it was. It's not serious now, but she referred us to a pediatric surgeon to follow up.
Afterward, we drove across the street to the Houston Garden Center (I'm still trying to fill in some empty spaces left by our hibiscus plants that died this winter). The last time I tried taking the boys here, it was a total disaster......they got in a huge fight trying to put flowers into our cart, then Drew kept stepping off the cart and I rolled on top of his leg twice. I ended up leaving completely frustrated and embarrassed!
Well, yesterday, there was hardly anyone there.....and the boys did fairly well following me around for a few minutes while I shopped. But then they found some puddles. At first they were content just walking through them, but of course it quickly escalated.....they were running around laughing hysterically and having the time of their lives! As a girl, it was hard for me not to get grossed out and stop them (it didn't smell or look very good). And both of them slipped and fell at least once too, so their clothes were mostly saturated and muddy by the time we left.
But I try to remember to count my blessings; after all, it gave me time to decide what I wanted without being rushed or without having to keep chasing them down. We were going straight home afterward, so I knew I could just strip them down in the car and not worry about having extra clothes. And it was just fun watching them enjoy themselves so much. So many times I get wrapped up in my own plans and it's hard for me to accept the fact that my boys are little boys, after all.....and they have a blast getting all dirty and wet! I happened to have my camera in my purse, because I'd taken pictures of Drew's hernia before we went to the doctor (in case it wasn't obvious while we were there).
The boys and I went to Bryan this past weekend (Dean had to work late Friday night, so he didn't come with us); we had fun seeing great-grandma (in town from Michigan) and Rob, Leah, Evan and Ella Kate. And of course grandma and grandpa, too. The boys had fun in the pool, and Grant had a blast playing with Evan. We came home late Saturday, and I was worn out! I spent Sunday up in town by myself; I went to a wedding shower for a friend and spent a couple more hours shopping ALL BY MYSELF! It was such a nice break!
I am just feeling so tired.....I don't think I felt this exhausted with my past two pregnancies. I've been laying down a lot during the boys' naps.....right now I just don't have the energy you're supposed to have in the second trimester. In fact, I think I will go lay down and enjoy some peace and quiet right now!
January Lessons
10 years ago
4 comments:
Adorable pictures! I felt tired during the entire pregnancy with Jake, and I just had Ava. I can't imagine having two little ones and being pregnant. I hope your energy returns soon. Johnny and I are so excited for the Sloan family.
Matthew had bilateral inguinal hernias and the repair was done by Dr. Bloss at TCH. Dr. Bloss is one of the VERY BEST pedi surgeons in the country, and has been in practice for something like 30 years. I can't say enough about how great he is and I highly recommend him! Let me know if you have any questions about the surgery, recovery, etc.!
These are GREAT pictures! Looks like they had a lot of fun! I know, though - it's so hard to put your mom instincts aside (and knowing you're going to have to wash both the boys and their clothes afterward).
Boys will be boys! Glad you got your shopping done in peace and the boys got to play. I bet some of the other shoppers were smiling as the boys splashed through the puddles!
Post a Comment