Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My goodness, I can't believe it....

I had my ultrasound on Friday....everything apparently looks great with the baby....it's measuring about a week ahead of schedule, but my doctor says he won't move the due date (it will probably come a couple of weeks early anyway, like the boys). The placenta is NOT in the front, like I assumed.....Susie the ultrasound tech said I should start feeling it move more in the next couple of weeks. While I was in there, the baby kept trying to curl up and she had to keep pushing at it to get all of the measurements.

And as for the baby's sex? I lost all willpower and just couldn't stand to wait. Dean had just left with the boys (they were fairly well-behaved but starting to get a little rowdy). The ultrasound was almost over and I asked Susie if she knew the sex yet. She said, "yeah, I think so." (We had told her at the beginning that we didn't want to know.) I just couldn't help it.....I burst out, "is it a boy?" and she said slowly "I'm thinking not.....are you sure you want to know?"

At this point I think I went into a bit of shock, and I think I still am. She showed me a couple of pictures that she had already taken of the "three coins," as she described the girl parts. It looked very clear and I couldn't believe what I was looking at. I just knew this was a boy. Then I asked if she'd take another picture and write "it's a girl" so I could show Dean and surprise him. Based on this picture I still am not 100% convinced.....I probably would have guessed "boy" looking at it (you can't see the three lines in this particular picture). But I do trust her and I guess she knows what she's talking about.....I'm probably just not going to paint the room or anything until I have some further confirmation! Dean thinks I am crazy.

So of course I'm excited.....it's just weird to think about having a girl, since now I'm so accustomed to boys, boys and boys. I remember while I was growing up thinking a few times that it would be ideal to have two boys, and then a girl (so she'd have big brothers). Of course it wasn't something I thought a lot about, but I remember it crossing my mind more than once or twice. It overwhelms me to think that this was God's plan all along, and I realize how blessed I am that I have been given these precious kids.

Yesterday I went to Carter's to use a coupon and to take advantage of Memorial Day sales. I have to admit that it was super fun being able to legitimately look at the girl side and shop for pink clothes! With both boys, we had girl names picked out before we knew the sex (boy names have always been harder for us). So now it feels weird that a girl is actually something we are planning for, instead of just being a "maybe someday" idea.

More updates on the boys coming in the next couple of days.....they've been doing some really memorable things and I hate that I don't get more chances to record all of their funny antics....

9 comments:

CS said...

Yea! A niece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kristen said...

ALISSA!!!! Yay!!! A girl! That is so funny that you broke down. I could never wait though, so no judgement here! I'm so excited for you - two boys then a girl is just perfect. Let me know if you need any good bow links. ;)

Lindsay said...

I'M SOOOOO EXCITED FOR YOU!!! YAY!!! Girls are fun, and it's neat to see the differences between boys and girls.. even at an early age! Congratulations!

katy said...

I'm so thrilled for you! How exciting! :)

Rebecca & Tucker said...

How fun Alissa! I just had a friend have a girl after 2 boys. She said she was shocked at how much calmer her girl was at just the infant stage.

Me said...

Congratulations! My friend Kristin is also pregnant with a girl after 2 boys! You two need to meet! Anyway, my Dr. called the ultrasound pic showing that we were having a girl "the hamburger sign." She said the boy is a "turtle sign". Funny terminology, but that is really what it looks like! Anyway, so happy you're having a pink baby!!!

Dorminey Days said...

I'm glad you went ahead and found out the sex. Yay! You will LOVE having a baby girl. I can't wait to buy some pink things for you!

Mom23WildBoys said...

Wow, that's so cool! I'm happy for you that you'll get to experience having both boys and a girl (and a little jealous :). How fun it would be to buy little girl clothes...enjoy everything pink and frilly!

I'm changing my blog to private and will use the email address I have for you if you'd like to keep reading it! If you use another email address for google, please send me a message on facebook.

Congratulations again!!!

Yee Peng said...

You were like me! I couldn't wait to find out the baby's sex either!! Shopping for baby girls is a lot of fun. :) Congratulations!