We saw a pediatric surgeon last Friday at Texas Children's about Drew's hernia. Dean was working, so my parents met us there at the hospital to help out with Grant. My dad ended up coming into the appointment with Drew and me, and Drew's hernia wasn't apparent at first. The doctor tried tickling him to get it to "pop" out, but it didn't work. He just stood there with a straight face! So she told me to leave the room, hoping he'd cry. Of course normally he freaks out when he thinks I might leave him, but nope! Not this time. So she had my dad leave the room. After about 30 seconds he did start to get a little worried. Then the doctor sent out the resident and med student who were in the room....and he immediately started crying! I got a kick out of that.
Anyway, the crying did cause the hernia to pop out. So she recommended surgery, as I expected. She happened to have an opening for tomorrow, so that's what we're doing. Unfortunately, it's scheduled for 1pm, instead of early AM like I was hoping. He can't have any food tomorrow, and no clear liquids after 9am. We have to be at the hospital at 11am. As a mom, of course I'm worried, even though I know it's a very common and routine surgery (the doctor told us that 1 in 40 boys is born with an inguinal hernia). And it's just an outpatient surgery, so we should be leaving by 3:30 or 4pm. But neither of my babies have ever had surgery (except for circumcision!), so I'm just a little nervous about it. And I'm wondering how in the world Drew is going to handle not having any food in the morning! Hopefully we can just skip breakfast altogether and neither of the boys will notice....
I'll write tomorrow night with an update.....
January Lessons
10 years ago
5 comments:
Oh my goodness, I'm sure you're nervous. I'll be thinking about you guys today. Try not to worry (I know that's a joke, but still.) He's going to do just great. BIG HUGS to you!!!!
Noah had to have eye surgery when he was 10 months.. just beware when they come out of anasethia (sp?).. they either come out of it really sweet.. or like Noah.. i swear he seemed demon possessed!!! It was kinda scary--the screaming and such, but he pulled through.. just wanted to warn you!! Will be waiting for the update!! :)
I hope that Drew is doing well this morning with no food. I'll be thinking of you guys today!
Praying all goes well!
hey-- how did the surgery go?
Post a Comment