Now that I've written this I realize it's quite long.....unless you're family, you may not care to read all the details about our doctor's appt today! I will try to post pictures tomorrow of Grant's birthday......
Today Dean took the day off and we took the boys for their two year/two month appointments. Grant picked up a virus a couple of days ago and has had a fever off and on since Monday evening. Thankfully, for his birthday yesterday he felt okay for most of the day. But he woke up a lot last night, and this morning was in a very foul mood!
So we went to their appointment at 1pm, and Grant was not happy when we got there. It's been months since he's been to the doctor, but he started freaking out the second we stepped into the examining room! Weird! He's never been scared of the doctor's office before, except maybe for a few seconds at his 18 month checkup. One nurse took Drew's measurements while the other (poor lady) TRIED to measure Grant....he threw a complete fit when she tried to put the measuring tape around his head! We knew we were in for a long appointment at that point. Everything was a struggle....laying him down to measure his length, putting him on the scale to weigh him, etc. The nurse had to prick his finger to draw a sample of blood, and it sounded like he was being tortured!
When our doctor came in, she examined Drew first and Grant was SO interested! I thought he might see that nothing bad happened to Drew and decide it wouldn't be too bad. But nope, he got hysterical again when she got even close to him. Again, very weird. Grant can throw great fits, but I've rarely seen him acting hysterical like this.
So it just felt like a madhouse, trying to get both boys checked while Grant was crying almost nonstop and Drew was fussy for a little bit of it. When we left, Dean wondered why he had taken a vacation day to do this??!!
I don't remember all of their measurements right now, but they are both BIG boys! Grant was in the 100th percentile for height. Dr. Thomas was convinced that he'll be 6'2" or 6'3", although I am a little bit skeptical that you can really make that assumption on a 2-year old. It was weird imagining him as a tall man as she talked about it!
And Drew's height and weight (13 lbs, 3.5 oz) are also both in the 90s, percentile-wise. She was very impressed with the way Drew could hold his head up when laying on his belly, and guessed that I must have already started tummy time with him. I didn't mention to her that he's sleeping on his belly at night and for most of his naps! But.....(and this is a little bit off the topic!).....I am scared to death of SIDS, so I bought an Angel Care monitor that detects motion in the crib. So I don't feel like I'm being reckless by letting him sleep on his belly....it gives me so much peace of mind. And Drew sleeps SO much better on his tummy!
Drew got a few shots today, as well as an oral vaccine for Rotavirus. Of course it was hard to see him grimace and wail, but he drifted off to sleep afterwards as I nursed him. Grant's never had any reaction to shots, so I'm hoping Drew will be the same.
January Lessons
10 years ago
4 comments:
James was a tummy sleeper as early as 8 weeks, if I remember correctly. I would swaddle him and lay him on his side in a sleep positioner (he HATED his back from day one) and by morning he would have ooched over to his tummy. Scared me for a while, but he was very happy that way, and started sleeping through the night around 10 weeks. Ahhhh.....
During our doctor's visit last month, she told us that she was glad to see Emelyn because the patient before Emelyn was a 2-year old. The 2-year old was kicking and screaming. I told her that Emelyn would be well behaved when she's 2 years old (jokingly). Without a moment of hesitation, she said that Emelyn will act just like the 2-year old patient when she's that age. She said that most toddlers hate going to the doctor's, they're like little devils. Her words, not mine! :)
For our next child, whenever it is, I'm probably going to let him/her sleep on his/her tummy. Emelyn developed a slightly flat head (it's much better now) for sleeping on her back. Also, babies sleep better on their tummies, I think. Emelyn started sleeping on her tummy at 6 months. She rolled over by herself.
Aw man - sorry about the rough time. Good thing Dean was there, though, to help you handle the chaos!
My Drew was always a back sleeper, but I would have no problems letting him or Olivia sleep on their tummies if that's what did the trick. I've heard the Angel Care monitors are really cool. I also read an article a month or so ago that suggested keeping a ceiling fan on could greatly reduce the risk of SIDS as well. I thought that was neat information - and so easy to do.
Hang in there - I'm with ya in the 2-year old tantrum world :)
A-
I've been researching SIDS a little and it's all just so conflicting. And it changes all the time. I've had several friends say they let their kids sleep on their stomachs - if you read stats, SIDS happens to back sleepers regularly too, just not as much, hence why they recommend that.
If he's happier, sounds great. :) Now I need to look into that Angel Care Monitor. ;)
Post a Comment