Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Today.....


....my little(st) guy is seven months old! It's amazing how lately he's changing a lot; he's developing some characteristics of an older baby....like......

If he's awake when I lay him down to sleep, he'll turn in his crib and cry as he watches me walk out of his room (one of the saddest sounds in the world, and one of the reasons why I've been nursing him to sleep if I can.....even though I know it's probably a mistake!).

If he hears something that's interesting to him, he turns his entire body to find where it's coming from. As an aside, it's so cute when babies kind of jerk their heads very quickly, and without much control. Then for a second afterwards you see their eyes trying to catch up and focus! I noticed this with Grant and now I'm noticing it with Drew. Very random, but I think it's so cute!

He's not quite crawling yet, but he can lunge for an object, then get himself back into a sitting position (but not if he's completely on his belly). And he's learned how to get onto his hands and knees and rock back and forth.....

He loves his big brother more and more.....he always gets excited when Grant comes near him.....sometimes he'll shriek and turn towards me and grab me (he thinks Grant's going to come tickle him!). And he definitely likes to instigate playtime now.....if he's laying on the floor next to Grant, he'll always roll over and start grabbing Grant's face or hair, while laughing!

Related to this.....on Sunday, the four of us went to Home Depot to look at options for countertops and backsplash for our kitchen. Grant loves Home Depot and he likes riding in the little racecar shopping carts. Well, we figured Drew is now old enough to sit with him. They looked so sweet sitting next to each other.....Drew kept trying to reach over and grab Grant's steering wheel! Then he'd turn and try to mess with Grant's hair or face. Grant actually took it well.....he was annoyed but didn't freak out too badly. It was one of my favorite sights of my kids up to this point......

He has started trying to drink out of our cups too.....and yesterday he actually succeeded in taking a couple of sips from his sippy cup (we've tried a couple times before, but he's always just chewed on the plastic).

He doesn't have separation anxiety yet (like Grant did by this age), but when he's tired, he only wants Mommy. Last Sunday at church, he did fine when I dropped him off. But once he got tired, he wouldn't stop crying until I showed up after they paged me. Once I took him, he immediately calmed down and sat there happily in my arms!

His second tooth is starting to pop out today! So now he'll have his bottom two front teeth.

He's making all kinds of gurgling noises and some consonant sounds, but I don't think as many as Grant was doing by this point.....

I can't leave him on top of a couch or bed for more than a few seconds.....this morning he fell off the couch when I walked into the kitchen to grab something (I don't know why I didn't just take a second to move him to the floor in the first place!). And....while we were at Dean's parents' house last week, I laid him down to sleep on the guest bed (a double bed), and I put pillows all around him. I came in to check on him about 45 minutes later. When I opened the door, I could hear crying but there was no sign of Drew (but the pillows were all still there). I went to the side of the bed, then I looked UNDER the bed and there he was, facing out, completely under the bed! We figure he must have fallen off, then scooted backwards to get underneath it. It scared me to death, but he stopped crying as soon as I picked him up! Grant could sense the drama (I was holding him when we went into the room), and he explained everything to Dean when he got out of the shower!

3 comments:

CS said...

Happy 7 months to Drew! It's so cute to see him do more "grown-up" things but in his wobbly, baby way. The incident at Mom and Dad's sounds scary!

katy said...

Under the bed!!! Holy cow, I bet you were scared! He's getting so big and even more adorable. I love that pre-crawl rocking they do... so funny!

Lindsey: Mama of Andrew, Adam, and Ally said...

Hey Alissa! I just found your blog again and wanted to say hello. I didn't know you had another baby!! Both of your little ones are so adorable! Take care!