Monday, March 15, 2010

An interesting thing to see.....

Drew's sleep has been driving me crazy the past couple of weeks. He's been waking up at random hours throughout the night, then every five minutes afterward for as long as I will put up with it. For example, he might wake up at 1am (crying for his blanky....he settles down as soon as I give it to him), then I'm barely back asleep when I hear him crying again. And then a few minutes later he does it again. He's learned to throw his blanky on the floor, because he assumes I'll come back in to give it to him every time.

Now I'm not really putting up with it anymore.....I'll give him his blanky once, but the next time I might let him cry for 20 minutes before giving it to him again. It seems to be working a little. And in the mornings (he first wakes up at 5:50 or 6am, which just seems way too early), I'll give him his blanky once, then I'll have to just let him cry if I haven't showered by the next time he wakes up.

So this morning, I heard him crying as I got out of the shower. In about ten minutes I was ready to go downstairs (Grant had woken up and come into our room by that point), and Grant and I went to get Drew. We walked into Drew's room, but Drew wasn't in his crib. He was sitting on the floor, a few feet away from his crib. What the heck??!! It was so bizarre. If he fell out just before I came in, I would've heard some kind of thud, right? If he fell out while I was in the shower, wouldn't he have found his way to the door and come out? Granted, it was still very dark outside (6:40am, which is still dark after the time change), but surely his eyes would have adjusted enough to find his way to the door?

Anyway, it's still quite a mystery to me. I've never seen him come anywhere close to climbing out of his crib, and he's only 17 months old. He's definitely not ready for a toddler bed.....so hopefully this won't happen again. It made me feel a little guilty for letting him cry, though, knowing he was laying on the floor in his room while I was taking my time getting ready. Oops....just another one of those "bad mommy" moments, I guess!

3 comments:

katy said...

Wow -- I've definitely heard of kids climbing out of the crib that early, but it's still a crazy thought! My first thought was that Grant got him out, but then I realized you said Grant was with you. What a mystery!

It's not a "bad mommy" moment at all!!

Sara said...

Eek! Yes, I've also heard of kids climbing out of bed that early... though I was lucky that Drew never did. I've heard you can get a dome to put over the top of the crib that will keep them from climbing out (and maybe also keep blankie in as well?).

Don't feel like a bad Mommy!

Danielle said...

Not a bad Mommy moment!

He might have climbed out, but may never do it again. He was probably surprised that he ended up on the floor and decided to just hang out and play.

If you are concerned you can look into getting a crib tent.