Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Going a little more crazy with every short nap!

Skip down a few paragraphs if you're not interested in reading about more mommy frustrations (I know I write about that often....but hey, it's my life right now!)!

So let's see....it's 2:54 as I'm starting to type this.  I just finished some chores and sat down at the computer about 5 minutes ago, and now I hear Drew crying.  I left his room at 2:11.  A 43-minute nap isn't my idea of a decent break (both boys woke up before 6am), so I'm hoping he will go back to sleep.  This is the kind of stuff that makes me go crazy!

I gave him Brownie (his blanky) and now he's stopped crying...for now.  He did this yesterday too and woke up in 15-minute increments until I finally got him out of his crib after a total of an hour and a half.

I know I've said this before (and we talked about it in my Bible study group today, so I know all stay-at-home moms deal with this): I love my kids, but when they wake up at 6am and go to sleep at 8pm, I need a break during that time to do my own stuff!  Grant is great with naps (usually 2-3 hours), and it would be heavenly if both of them did that every day.  When Drew happens to take longer naps (by longer I mean at least 1.5 hours), I feel so refreshed and like I actually was able to accomplish something!  Those are the only days I can blog or work on some other project.  It's just a huge adjustment having little kids and not having the time to pursue my own interests, except maybe for an hour or two per week.  It's like I'm not the same old "me" during this stage of life; I'm having to put my own interests on hold for these few years while I have itty-bitty kids.  And again, I suppose this is a normal way to feel, and in the scheme of things, this stage won't last long.  I know I'm supposed to selflessly remember that my kids are my top priority and I couldn't be doing any more important work than this, etc.  I know this, but when you're with your kids almost every waking hour, you desperately want time to pursue your own non-kid-related interests (at least I do!).  

The real purpose of this post:
I was going to post some pictures from our trip to the strawberry farm in Alvin.....I took the boys on Monday and we met up with friends from my Bible study group.  We had a blast!!!  Now that it's finally warm, it's wonderful being able to spend entire mornings outside.  Froberg's Farm in Alvin (about 17 miles from us) is great....they have a perfect little farmer's market and a barbecue smokehouse, not to mention the strawberry-picking fields.  I will wait to post pictures, but the boys had so much fun picking berries and putting them in their buckets.  Drew (like Grant two years ago, when he was basically the same age) squished most of his as soon as he picked them.  But Grant remembered from watching Special Agent Oso (a Disney morning show, for grandparents and others who may not know) how to pick strawberries.....every time he picked one, he'd say, "twist, and pull" (just like he learned from Oso).  He had fun finding the red ones, and discerning which ones were better than others. 

Like I said, I will hopefully post pictures soon.  Our fence at the end of our cul-de-sac is being replaced, and the machines are making so much loud noise!  Right now it sounds like they're drilling straight into concrete....I have no idea what's going on, and was surprised the boys were still asleep....but Drew has started crying just in the past couple of minutes.  Now it's 3:33, so I guess an hour and twenty minutes will have to do for today!

4 comments:

ClintandGina said...

I totally understand the short nap frustrations. On a really good day Ava will take a 2 hour morning nap and then a 1.5 hour afternoon nap. During those short times, I have my quiet time if I haven't that morning, do my aerobics, do the dishes and straighten the house......oh and take a shower if there is time for that. SO, on the days that she decides that a 30 minute nap will do, I have to either not do those things OR do them with her on my hip. SO, I totally understand and I only have one. Although, their sweet smiles make it all worth it!

katy said...

Alissa, you are a fabulous mom! Just wanted to throw that out there. ;)

Danielle said...

Naps are so important! And I totally understand about needing time to do your own stuff! You are not alone!

Dorminey Days said...

I feel your pain. Ava is very inconsistent with her naps. She averages maybe two or three naps a week. No nap days are long days with two little ones for sure. You're a great mommy, and I think all of us stay-at-home moms have days when we feel the same way. I know I do! :) Miss you!