Monday, March 8, 2010

Teaching Mommy

It's funny to have conversations with Grant now; instead of just hearing him make basic sentences (which is all we've known until now), he is learning now how to correct you when he notices that you're describing something incorrectly. Today after we got home from school, I laid my keys on the front table. After about ten minutes, Grant handed them to me and told me, "you don't need to put these keys here. That's not where they go." And I said, "oh, thank you, I'll put them right here in my bag." He replied, "no, your purse."

He does this a lot....he was sitting on top of his jacket when he got in his carseat a few days ago, and I said, "here, let me get your shirt out from under you." He replied, "no, my jacket."

"Blanky" was the name of Drew's original green lovey, which we lost at Wal-Mart about a month ago. Thankfully we had already found a replacement (exactly the same, but brown, so Dean named it "Brownie." We are original, I know!). Sometimes I'll still refer to Drew's blanky as "blanky," and Grant often will correct me, saying, "that's not Blanky, it's Brownie. We lost Blanky at Wal-Mart."

Anyway, he does stuff like this a lot.....he likes to tell me when I've gotten something wrong!

Lately he's also been insisting on putting his shoes and socks on by himself. Last week on Super Why the message of the day was "Do it yourself." A few minutes after it ended, he was trying to put his sock on. I stepped in and tried to help when I noticed he had it upside down. He said, "no, Super Why said to do it yourself. So I'm going to do it myself. I just need to keep trying."

And today after lunch Drew walked over to the table near where my plate was sitting. Grant told him, "no Drew, you cannot knock over Mommy's plate, because it's made of glass." Then he proceeded to pick up a bookmark on the table, and he told me, "this can fall on the floor because it's made out of plastic." He dropped it on the floor and said, "see, it didn't break!"

Funny little guy!

6 comments:

CS said...

What a smart boy! I'm a very proud aunt... I'm glad it's not getting on your nerves to be corrected! :-)

katy said...

Super smart!!
I hate that he lost his Blankey at Walmart. Was it traumatic?? I was attached to a teddy bear when I was little, and I managed to lose it several times. My parents went to crazy lengths to get it back -- like having it shipped from a motel where we'd stayed, etc. But it sounds like Grant has accepted Brownie pretty well!

Megan Bennett said...

What a smarty!

Danielle said...

He seems to be growing up! He is probably so proud of himself for knowing the right words, and being able to "correct" Mommy!

Sara said...

Ha ha - love it! And dang those Super Why for encouraging them to do things themselves. Don't they know mommy's everywhere need compliant children!? lol

ClintandGina said...

Drew's latest comments always crack me up. You must laugh a lot around your house!