As a political and talk radio junkie, I've been following all of this health care stuff closely over the past few days. It just makes me fume to watch all of those Democratic leaders basically ramming this bill down our throats, with no regard as to what the American people want (and demonstrated when they elected a Republican senator to take Ted Kennedy's place in Massachusetts). It is beyond description, how far they're willing to go to get it passed. Completely disgraceful.
Anyway, I could go on and on. A couple of days ago, Obama was in Ohio and I'm sure many people saw his quote regarding health care premiums. He said that this bill would reduce by an estimated 3,000 percent the health care premiums that companies pay for their employees. Then he said, "so, that means you could get a raise." Of course the crowd went wild. I heard this on the radio and thought, this doesn't make any sense. You can increase something by 3000%, but you can't decrease something by 3000%. You can only decrease something by 100% before it gets to zero!
And then yesterday, Rush Limbaugh even gave an example on his radio show. Say company XYZ pays $4,000 per employee for health care premiums each year. A 3000 percent decrease in their health care premiums would mean that the insurance company would then be paying company XYZ $120,000 per employee per year. It makes no sense at all. In fact, if George Bush had made a mistake like this in a speech, it's all you would have heard about on the talk shows and news reports for a week. But since it was Obama, nobody even seems to notice or fact check his numbers (except on conservative talk radio). Not that this is surprising, but it's still infuriating. He just continues to mislead people, and apparently he's not ever going to be called on it!
January Lessons
10 years ago
4 comments:
Oh my goodness! I hadn't heard this yet. What a joke...and yet, folks keep following him. It's really scary to think how little those around us pay attention.
Last week I made the mistake of arguing health care with a friend of my sister's on Facebook. Huge mistake! He was convinced that he could sway my opinion and kept trying to tell me that the new bill will actually cut the deficit. Hmmm, funny how even liberal media has admitted that that's not the case and that no one can say exactly how the bill will be paid for.
It's so frustrating! Regardless of what side they take, the American people need to pay attention. Some very dangerous precedents are being set and we're teetering at the edge of a slippery slope to trouble.
Thank you for pointing this out. I can't think about it too long or my blood pressure will go sky-high and cause the top of my head to pop off and my eyes to bulge out, a la Loony Toons.
The most telling thing, for me, came from talking to a rather liberal friend of mine about the health care bill du jour. She had been pushing hard for health care reform, but was completely disgusted with the bill itself. Now wait, let me get this straight: I'm against it and I'm not happy... and she's for it and isn't happy. Can someone tell me who the hell we're pleasing here, because I'm not seeing it?!
Post a Comment