Friday, September 19, 2008

Belly pictures and baby update

Taken the night before we evacuated......Wednesday, Sept 10 (2 days shy of 38 weeks, according to Sept 26 due date):Taken in Bryan on Sept 14:

I saw my doctor this morning. I am now almost 4cm dilated, and 80-90% effaced! He told me that our hospital is taking in a lot of patients who would ordinarily deliver their babies at UTMB in Galveston (which is closed). So right now they're checking on whether I'll still be able to be induced on Monday (it's an elective procedure, and they may not have enough room). Now that Dean's parents are here, I'm wondering whether it would be better to just wait to go into labor naturally.....I've heard that labor is more intense when you're induced. And this probably sounds crazy, but I'm considering not getting an epidural this time.....I don't think my epidural did much good last time.....but I am definitely open to it if I'm in enough pain!

Anyway, I'm still feeling pretty good, but my sciatica has been bothering me quite a bit the past few days (and nights). Last night I woke up really uncomfortable, and ended up going downstairs and laying on the couch at around 3:45. But I really feel blessed......I was in so much pain when I was only 30 weeks pregnant with Grant, so I can handle a few days of discomfort!

I will post some pictures of our time in Bryan tomorrow if I get a chance......but we will see how much longer Drew decides to wait!

6 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

I can't believe you're already 4cm. I don't see how Drew could stay in for much longer!!

katy said...

You look great! I bet Drew will be here before you know it.
I was induced, I guess. The doc broke my water when I was about as dilated and effaced as you are, and James was here six hours later. I didn't have pitocin -- I've heard it can be rough.

The Eges said...

Just in case you need a little encouragement (there has been a lot of stressful stuff in our lives recently, after all!)... Sure, some inductions I hear are intense, but plenty of them are not. Especially if you are already so far along in dilating. My induction with Caleb was great and I'd do it again (may get to in a week)! I'll just pray for wisdom for you and the doctor. And maybe you won't even have to make a decision. Wow, 4 cm already!

jenandsteve said...

I can't believe you are about to have your baby! I have hardly had a chance to get on my own blog and having been a while, I am just now looking at yours. I was still thinking your due date was on the third! Well, if you are still doing the induction (even if you are not and he comes on his own), I will be praying that all goes well for you both and hoping that it is as little painful as possible. I cannot wait to see the newest addition to the Sloan family! You look great by the way and you can totally tell it is a boy.

Sara said...

Yay! So glad Drew is almost here!

For what it's worth, I was induced, and it was a fabulous experience. I had an epidural, which pretty much eliminated any painful contractions (the actual crowning and such was pretty uncomfortable, but that's not related to the pitocin). I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I heard all kinds of horror stories from my friends beforehand about inductions (most of whom hadn't even been induced themselves). What I finally realized, though, is that the bad stories get propagated much more often than the good. For me, the combination of induction and epidural was great. I've honestly had root canals that hurt worse.

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in - I hope everything goes smoothly for you, and can't wait to see the pictures of Drew :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I just heard Drew is here! Congrats you guys!