Most people reading this know most of the details, but here they are again:
Our precious little boy, Andrew Dean (Drew) Sloan was born on September 22, 2008 (Mommy's birthday!) at 2:24pm. He weighed 8lbs, 4oz and was 20 inches long. He looks a lot like his older brother! We got to the hospital at around 10:30 and he was born less than four hours later, so it was a fairly uncomplicated delivery (aside from the fact that I didn't have an epidural and I never could have imagined a pain so awful!).
We're doing great....the adjustment hasn't been as bad as I expected (so far!). Drew still sleeps almost all the time; every day since Saturday, he's had two or three long periods (30 minutes to 1.5 hours) of awake time per day, but for the most part he still sleeps almost all day. So far, he seems to be a little bit more laid back than Grant. From the very beginning, Grant would wake up and cry like crazy when he was hungry. When Drew wakes up, he whimpers and fusses a little bit to say that he's hungry, but he doesn't cry very much at all. I'd say my biggest problem right now is getting him to eat enough at each feeding....he tends to fall asleep after just a few minutes, and then he wakes up wanting to eat again after sometimes only 1 or 1.5 hours.
And Grant has welcomed his new brother much more easily than I'd expected. The first couple of days after getting home were hard for him; he'd lay on the floor and cry when he saw us holding Drew. But by Sunday, he was okay watching me holding or feeding him. And he doesn't seem to resent me like I thought he might. But he's become quite possessive of Dean.....he still gets quite upset when he sees Dean holding the baby.
Something really cute happened a couple of nights ago. Grant wanted Drew to lay on his little couch next to him. He laid there and held Drew's hand for probably 15 minutes. A couple of times Drew started to fuss a little, and I'd start to pick him up, but Grant grabbed him and pulled him down next to him again! It was really precious. Grant just looks enormous laying next to his tiny brother! He likes to hold his hands and feet, and he points to his umbilical cord and says "ouchie!"
I am loving having a little newborn again....these past few days have just been wonderful. I look at my two sweet little boys and feel so richly blessed!
Here are a few pictures....
Drew on the scale: 8 pounds, 4.2 ouncesHe was sucking his thumb when they brought him back to me after being cleaned up! Since then, he hasn't figured out how to do that again!
Getting burped for the first time.....so tiny!
Nana, Papa and Aunt Corie brought Grant over that night to meet Drew. He'd look at him and call him "baby" and "Drew," but he was more interested in playing with the balloon that Rob, Leah and Evan sent!Grant's second visit, on Tuesday afternoon. He'd walk over and touch his hands and toes, but again, he was more interested in trying to eat my food or finding things to play with in the hospital room!
Daddy changing Drew's diaper....
Drew didn't care for it too much!
Sweet picture of Daddy and Drew (during one of his rare awake times!).
Grant and Aunt Corie on Wednesday, after we came home. Grant had SO much fun playing with his Aunt Corie (and Nana) while they were here. He'd take Corie's hand and drag her all over the place to play with her. He was mad at her when she had to leave on Thursday morning! He did so well with all of them while we were in the hospital for two days....they played outside a lot and watched many episodes of Super Why! I don't know what we would've done if they hadn't been here to take care of Grant during those days.
January Lessons
10 years ago
7 comments:
He is so precious. Isn't it crazy how you forget how tiny they are when they are born? It's so sweet that he was born on your birthday! I was born on my dad's birthday and LOVE it. It's a special bond you two will always have. yeah, giving birth naturally is not what it's cracked up to be. I try to warn people!! Glad you made it through and would love to meet Drew!!
Congratulations!! (And happy belated birthday!) :) Drew is just precious and I can't wait to see more pictures along the way. Glad to hear you're doing so well!
Happy Birthday Alissa -and baby Drew!
Congrats to your sweet family. So glad to hear everything is going well!
Hi Alissa - I'm a friend of Kelli (Day) Campbell's, and I've been following you on your blog for a while now :). You and I actually met up in college, but it's been quite a while! Congratulations on your new beautiful baby boy, and happy belated birthday as well! What a neat connection you and Drew will always have! I wish you nothing but the best in this new transition to two kiddos!
Congratulations on your new addition to the family. He is adorable. I agree that he looks a lot like Grant. Sounds like you think an epidural is the way to go. Blessings to your family of four!
Gina
CONGRATULATIONS YOU TWO!
Drew does look alot like Grant when he was born. I pulled out Grant's birth announcement and the two pictures are very similar.
Now that you have the two boys, besure to sneak in a little rest time for yourself.
Kristin's Mom
He is PRECIOUS! I can't wait to bring one of those home. :) Congratulations Alissa!
Post a Comment