Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Handsome

These pictures are over a month old, but I love them and have been wanting to post them for a while. This was Grant's picture day at school, and we dressed him in this cute little outfit (a hand-me-down from his friend Andrew). These pictures that Dean took were much better than the ones from school!


This was taken that same afternoon, when Grant and I took a walk down the street. He had fun making stops to play in the water and examine the acorns! We ended up walking all the way to the park, then Dean came to pick us up a while later. It was fun spending a little bit of time alone with Grant (which doesn't happen as much as it used to!).The reason for the title of the post: a few weeks ago, Dean's laptop was sitting on the kitchen table. His desktop picture is one of Grant (go figure!). Grant looked at his picture, and said "Grant. Handsome." It was so funny! Whenever we see pictures of him (usually playing on our screen saver), I say "look, there's Grant! Isn't he handsome?" So I guess Grant has learned that he's handsome and decided he would use the word to describe himself!

Every day he makes me laugh by the phrases he puts together and the vocabulary he picks up without anyone specifically teaching him. He still doesn't use prepositions, but he can get across what he's trying to say. Here are just a few examples:

- "I fall down- grass."
- "I fall down- knee" (meaning that he hurt his knee).
- The other day he said "No sir. Sit down. Table. Now!" (I often say "no sir" to correct him when he's doing something wrong. That little stinker already knows how to mock!).
- He tells the kitty, "No! Outside, Amminadab!" and he'll chase the cat around the house yelling at him until he goes back out (this is our cat that was banished outside for spraying).
- He also now says "I like ___" and "I need ___" quite a bit. And he likes to describe things as "cool!" or "awesome!"

And Dean recently read that between ages 2-4, kids will make up innane words and will begin to use words in ways that they know aren't correct (because they know it sounds funny). Grant has started doing this. He holds up anything to his mouth and says "apple juice" as he pretends to drink it (even if it's one of his toys) because he's seen that it makes us laugh. And he'll take anything that's flat, put it under his arm and call it a Bible (yesterday it was one of our trivets!). Again, he has learned to be creative because he knows it will draw a laugh!

With Grant, we're always either having a wonderful time or a horrible time. He'll be sweet, charming, and hilarious one minute. Then the next minute something doesn't happen the way he wants it to, and he turns into a terror! This was particularly true the week of his birthday.....I have never seen him act so insane and out of control during his fits. He's been better in the past 10 days, but he can turn from Dr. Jeckyll to Mr. Hyde in no time. I get so frustrated and angry at him, then I feel bad because I remind myself that he's two and I can't expect him to act like an adult!

The next chance I get, it's Drew's turn to be the subject of a post!

4 comments:

Rob and Leah said...

Alissa, he looks so much like you in pic 3! It will be fun to get the boys together again later this month. Evan and Grant could have quite a conversation.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Alissa- Please put Grant in a one piece outfit and have him act like a baby! I don't want to think this time next year I am going to have a grown up little boy - like these pictures! He is so cute, but still! He is so big and acting less like a baby than a boy. I would rather keep them small for awhile longer. Hope all is going well. Love, Margaret

Sara said...

I know what you mean about Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde! My Drew is the same way - When he's in a good mood, it's so amazing and fun, but the tantrums are so awful... especially when I'm trying to fend off his kicking Olivia. I swear that girl's going to be born with a dent in her forehead from Drew's feet.

katy said...

Hi IS handsome! :) And he can say "Amminadab?!!?!"