We tried giving Grant some real table foods again beginning last weekend, and this time he has picked it up pretty well! About a month ago, I tried giving him a few pieces of banana, and he gagged every time I put one in his mouth (see previous post). But I made our favorite dessert, Eclair Cake (Paula Deen recipe) last weekend, and decided to give him a few bites. He LOVED it and couldn't get enough of it....of course! Who doesn't like Paula Deen desserts?! I started to wonder if that was such a good decision.....it was the only "table food" we gave him for those first couple of days, and I wondered if he would grow such an attachment to the Eclair Cake that he'd think we're crazy for giving him anything any less tasty!
But he's been doing well ever since....he now likes bananas, and has also eaten peaches, peas, kiwi, turkey, Cheerios, and some other things that don't come to mind right now. Of course I am so worried that he's going to choke on everything (he only has two teeth!), so I mash all of his food up with my fingers before putting it into his mouth! I'm sure I'll eventually get better at that....hopefully before he goes to Kindergarten!
Gerber also sells something called "biter biscuits" which look an awful lot like dog biscuits! But Grant likes them a lot.....the first time I gave him one, he grabbed it and held it with two hands while eating from it. I guess that's the idea. They're nice and sweet and I think it makes him feel proud that he's feeding himself! But again, I have to be very careful because all of a sudden I'll notice that he's bitten off a huge chunk into his mouth!
Here's a picture of him enjoying a taste of Eclair Cake (probably the 3rd time he had it!)
Eating a biter biscuit....
"I like bananas, but I'd really like to eat this part of them too!"
January Lessons
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment