Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FRUSTRATIONS!!!!

I don't know if mothering comes naturally to some people, but I am not one of those people. We had a really good week last week (Spring Break), but yesterday and today have been awful. Sometimes (like now) I feel like I am completely at the end of my rope and I don't know what to do. I love my kids more than anything, but when I spend almost literally every waking hour with them, I start to take them for granted and I get to the point that I don't even enjoy being with them at times.

I've thought a lot about this in the past few months, wondering why I get so frustrated. Moms with little kids have lives are very one-dimensional. Day in and day out, my life is the same; feeding, cleaning up, playing, changing diapers, putting up with fits, correcting bad behavior, on and on. The only time I really get to spend focused attention on my own interests are while the boys are sleeping. And I'd say that each day I get an average of about 30 minutes of "alone" time....while both boys are asleep. Some days it's longer, but other days there's no free time at all (until the boys are asleep at night). And even when both boys ARE napping, I am inevitably spending much of that time doing laundry or some other housework.

Then when we go out to do errands, it is usually frustrating. Gone are the days when I could just run into places quickly; with two kids, I basically have to pick one place to go every day, whether it be Target, Kroger, or some other place. It is almost impossible to get the boys out of the car more than a couple of times, before one of them gets fussy or needs a nap. Grocery store trips used to be pretty easy with Grant, but lately he shreiks in the store and has started throwing things out of the shopping cart. He gets bored and wants to get down, but that would be a complete disaster!! So staying home gets old, but going out is hard too!

Then there are days like yesterday, where nothing seemed to go right. Grant spilled Dean's water bottle all over our bed in the morning, then he poured two containers of red sprinkles all over the kitchen floor and living room (while I was trying to put Drew down for a nap). Later he poured my water glass all over his tool bench. Not to mention the normal things that happen every day, like when he screams "NO!" when something doesn't go his way. I spent so much time yelling at Grant yesterday.....which of course then makes me feel even worse. And after all, I'm the one who left the pantry door open so he could reach for the sprinkles, and I'm the one who left my water glass within his reach. So I'm blaming him for being a normal, inquisitive two-year-old, when I'm making it easy for him to get into those things!

I tell Dean about every three weeks that I think I'm about to lose my mind. He tries to help (and he is very helpful with Grant when he's home), but he has a really stressful job right now too. None of our family is close, and I am weird about asking friends to watch the boys. And....Drew is eating baby food now but won't take a bottle. So it would be hard to leave him for more than a few hours anyway. Last Saturday, Grant and I got our hair cut; Dean took the boys home after Grant's haircut. An hour later, my haircut was over and I had to rush home to feed Drew because he was hungry and crying. I was hoping to stay out a little bit and do some things by myself, but no such luck!

I think the main point is that my entire identity right now is my kids. I feel guilty complaining about that, but sometimes it's exhausting and draining having only one thing that I do. When I feel like I'm doing a bad job at being a mom, there's nothing I can do to take a break from it, and there's not another aspect of my life at which I feel like I'm doing well. That's not to say that I don't have other interests......I just don't have time to do them!!

I feel a little better just writing all of this out. I know other people feel this same way sometimes too. I just tend to blog about good stuff going on, but my blog would not be accurate if I didn't talk about my frustrations too! Now I need to go figure out how to clean my (almost) brand new diaper bag. I opened it this AM when I was getting Grant's stuff ready for school, and there was a horrible smell. A sippy cup with apple juice had leaked all over it, and it was obviously a few days ago because of the smell. Apparently you can only spot-clean it....wonderful! I have no idea if I will be able to get the smell out. AAAAHHHHH!!

Okay......back to happy Alissa tomorrow (hopefully!).

9 comments:

Mom23WildBoys said...

I'm so with you on all of your frustrations, and I don't know how to deal with them yet either! My boys are wild, and they're old enough to physically fight with each other, so I feel like I'm yelling at them a lot too.
I looked at going back to work prn (just to get some time to myself!), and was offered a job, but couldn't find childcare, so I had to turn it down. We finally caved and hired a part-time babysitter from A&M to come help. So far, I have to stay home while she's here, since Joshua's very clingy lately, but the kids love to play with her, and it frees up a little bit of time for me.
I don't really have any advice, because I could use some myself, but everyone else says that they're so much easier when they're all older. It'll be awhile until we get to that stage though, because we're expecting our third boy...we're shocked, but happy that he seems healthy. Talk about wild world of boys, huh!?
Let me know if you're ever in town, and we'll get the boys together for some rowdy playtime. :)

Me said...

Alissa - I'm so sorry you're having such a rough time lately. Your feelings are definitely normal though and I pray that something will change soon so you can get a little bit of free time and a little bit of your sanity back! Have you thought about Mother's Day Out or something like that (at least for Grant) maybe once or twice a week? Just trying to think of things that have helped my sister!

lacy said...

Ok being a mommy has to be the hardest thing ever. Hang in there I am rooting for you! So I tried to comment yesterday but blogger seemed to be freaking out. Thank you so much for the kind comments that you left on my blog! It was a BIG year last year and I am so happy to be better than ok this year! xo Lacy

lacy said...

And ps if you ever get out this way you must come and take a yoga class, it gives you back some sanity! All our mothers say that's what keeps them going.

Lindsay said...

All of that blog is SO TRUE!! It's o.k. to vent, you need to vent or it just stays bottled up inside! I feel like I yell at my kids constantly and wonder if they will EVER think I'm a good mom when they grow up, but I'm sure they will (Hopefully!!!) I'm here if you need me!! I can ALWAYS take your boys a couple of hours one day! I'm so used to it, that it would NOT BOTHER me at all!! I would be honored to give you a break!!!

EBPitcher said...

Hang in there! I know exactly how you feel, although it is getting better.
What about hiring a HS or college student to come entertain the boys either while you are there or just to ahve some time for yourself? It's cheaper than full-time MDO and can be used sporadically. I'm contemplating that for the summer. Let's talk about it!
-EBP-

Spicy Magnolia said...

Alissa, thank you for sharing! I know that sometimes just writing it all out helps a lot. I don't doubt at all that you love your kids with all of your heart, but truth be told, this mommy stuff is hard!! I hope today was better and that you are able to extend yourself some grace. Again, thanks for sharing!

kelli said...

Thanks for your honesty- you are so not alone, Alissa!
I wish we lived closer and could share some sanity time. Some days I feel I can't take any more of life with toddlers and the last thing I think I should do is invite someone else into my chaotic, messy home -but I do just that. I have a friend over, our kids run wild and we have an adult conversation (mostly over their heads at a very high volume:)
After a day like that I actually feel better and realize we're all in the same boat and one of the best ways to deal with it is to share in it. So, thanks for sharing!

katy said...

Okay -- I'm late responding. But I couldn't let it go without saying you are a wonderful mother. I, too, feel like I'm not a natural at this mommy stuff. And there are some days I just want to rip my head off. I can't imagine how much that feeling is compounded when you have more than one child. Big hugs to you, and thanks for sharing this. I'm pretty turned off by moms who won't admit that it's hard as hell.