Friday, March 6, 2009

I like carrots (and sweet potatoes)!

Drew ate carrots (his first veggie) last Thursday for the first time, and he gobbled them up! No yucky faces at all....he acted like he had been eating them for years. I found a can of baby carrots in our pantry, and I pureed them....it was so easy! The hardest part is not knowing when to stop; that's one of the benefits of feeding from a jar, I guess. Drew just keeps eating and eating it!
Then this Monday, I tried sweet potatoes. I found a can of mashed sweet potatoes at the store (I think the brand is called Sugary Sams??), and Drew has been eating those this week. They are pretty thick, but he seems to do okay with them. He loves these too! Here he is watching Grant from his highchair while he's eating:
This boy loves to eat; he grabs the spoon from me when I'm feeding him, and he starts fussing if I take a break to eat a bite of my own dinner! Right now I'm only feeding him one solid food meal per day.....so we haven't done any rice cereal since I started the veggies. It is hard finding time to sit him in his highchair for a meal.....much harder than with Grant, when I didn't have another child running around and needing me! It is still much easier just to sit down and nurse Drew when he's hungry.

Here are a couple of pictures of the boys rolling around on the floor. This is one of Drew's favorite activities; he smiles and squints his eyes when he sees Grant heading towards him. And he's becoming a good little fighter; Grant tackles him, and he'll grab Grant's hair or shirt and hold on tight! I know before too long he'll be initiating it!

5 comments:

CS said...

Wow, they are already rough-housing. That was fast!

Summer Says... said...

Thanks for the bday wishes...no, I can't believe I'm 30 already. It seems like just yesterday we were tooling around B/CS, hanging out where we thought the college kids might be and trying to fit in with them. Time flies!

Your boys are growing so fast - how fortunate that Drew is such a good eater! All three of my brother's kids ate pretty well...though now, the middle one (Rex) is a little pickier. Have a great weekend! Hope to hear from you soon :-)

Melissa McFatter said...

One word of advice about using canned food as baby food, it is loaded with sodium. Be sure and check the sodium content before buying. Children and babies can actually get sodium poisoning from ingesting too much. (Not meant to scare you, just a word of advice.)

Alissa said...

Melissa: Yes, I found out about the sodium when I was feeding Drew the carrots; I never would've guessed that cans have a lot of salt added to them. But I tasted them and could immediately taste the salt. The nurse at our Dr's office told me to look specifically for "no salt added" cans, which I've been doing. I haven't found any carrots without salt, but I found sweet potatoes. Thanks for the heads up!!

Lindsay said...

seriously, that last pictures is PRICELESS!!!! Grant and Drew do look different from each other, but both equally as cute!! Hope you are doing good!