Tuesday, August 25, 2009

And just to keep things in perspective.....

I almost just went back and erased my last post......I am so ashamed at how much I take my kids for granted sometimes. Some people who read this probably also read popular mommy blogs like BabyBangs and Kelly's Korner. I don't read them much, but every so often I'll start blog-hopping and end up on one of them. On Kelly's Korner, she has a prayer page where she posts prayer requests that are emailed to her (that girl has thousands of readers). And today she highlighted a few specific requests. I already knew about one of them (a couple in Alabama who lost two-year-old twins in a drowning accident in July.....unfathomable).

And one of the others was for the Maxey family, who lost their one-year-old little girl Madeline to a brain tumor in 2004. Then they had a little boy (Grant), who is just a little older than our Grant. And then they had a little girl Annette, born last October (just a week or so after Drew was born). Now Annette is dying of cancer too....they're taking her home this week from the hospital.

I spent about 20 minutes just looking at their website and am heartbroken for them. It's impossible to look at it for more than a few minutes without crying. Apparently they were told after their first daughter died that none of their future children would have any greater chance of getting cancer than she'd had. So if that's correct, it just seems so unfair for something like that to happen twice to one family.

And I think about how much I complain and feel sorry for myself that my boys are giving me a hard time. I completely take for granted that I've got two healthy babies. Wow....

Anyway, just thought I would mention this for the people who aren't familiar with Kelly's blog. The Maxey family's website is http://www.maxeyweb.com/ . I don't know them or even where they live, but they definitely need prayer. I don't know how I'd be able to get out of bed in the morning if something like this were to happen to me.

This is usually why I don't tend to read blogs of people I don't know. Because one of two things usually happens. One, I happen upon family blogs where the family seems perfect in every way (and I end up feeling lousy about myself and my family when I have no real basis for thinking that way). Or two, I end up spending way too much time learning about people (who I don't know) with heart-wrenching situations. I don't think it's healthy to become consumed by things like this, but this particular one (and reading it on this particular night) just made me realize how trivial my problems are, in the scheme of things. So what if I'm bored during the day and my boys are driving me crazy?? There are people going through much harder things than me.....

3 comments:

Kier's Serendipity said...

That is an interesting perspective...but don't belittle your situation. It is still something you need to figure out so that you can be the best mom in the whole wide world to those two boys!

Sara said...

I've felt the exact same things - in both your posts. Drew makes me so crazy some days, I swear I'd be so much happier at a full time job where I'd be appreciated, fulfilled, and not puked on. And I know it means I would probably appreciate the kids more too because I don't see them as much...

But then, like you, I run across the blog of someone else who's going through something that would be my worst nightmare, and it quickly shifts everything into perspective and makes me so thankful for my healthy babies.

Kristen said...

I read Kelly's blog sometimes too and saw those posts. I almost never go to blogs like that anymore b/c it kills me, but I did go to the Maxey blog. It made me sob. I am just like you - I don't blog hop a lot for the EXACT same reasons you stated! I either end up feeling like everyone else I know is rich and perfect, or I end up in tears! Neither a good thing!