
Dean's papaw died yesterday afternoon. He's been suffering with emphysema and lung cancer for a while, and went into the hospital last weekend. It was so sad to hear the news, yet in the short time I knew him it was obvious that he lived a full, rich life. We took Grant to visit just a few weeks ago, and I'm so thankful that he was able to meet his great-grandpa (even though he won't remember!). While we were there, he kept talking about how much he loves his little grandkids, and at first he was wary of holding Grant because he was afraid he would drop him! But he eventually did hold him, and Grant was just enthralled as Papaw sang to him for a while. When Dean and I visited them about a year ago, I remember talking to him about his days as a young boy, and some of the things he and his brothers did that got them into trouble! He told us about growing up during the Depression, and about his time he spent in the service during the war. Just a few weeks ago when we were about to leave their house, he told us a few times how much he appreciated us coming up there, and how much it meant to him. I feel privileged to have gotten to know him just in these past few years that Dean and I have been together. Here is a picture of him two years ago at our wedding, and another one of him with Grant (which I may have already posted).
January Lessons
10 years ago
0 comments:
Post a Comment