Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Daddy's birthday!

Dean's birthday was on Saturday, and I thought I'd better write about it before I forget what we did to celebrate! I don't have any pictures uploaded yet (and I didn't take many), but hopefully I'll get to it in the next couple of days.

It's become somewhat of a tradition (if two times counts!) to go get donuts on the morning of our birthdays. Mine fell on a Saturday this year, and now Dean's did, so I guess it may be a little harder to continue when they fall during the week. But we went over to Riley's Donuts (close to our house, and very tasty!) and had breakfast.....Dean got the biggest cinnamon roll I think I've ever seen, AND a blueberry donut! I had to have one with chocolate sprinkles, and we got Grant a few donut holes (even though we brought his Kix too). He spit out the first bite of donut and made his classic scrunched up "yuck" face, but then gave it another try. He was begging for more before too long.....I think he ended up eating a few of them. That boy likes sweets!

After we got home, our 9-year-old neighbor Brynna and her friend came over to see Grant (any time Brynna has a friend over to play, she wants to show Grant to them. We've already met four or five of her friends!). Grant and I played outside with them (and Brynna's dog Wrigley) in the front yard for a few minutes. Then Dean walked outside, and Wrigley immediately ran over to the door and started jumping and barking at him! We think that Wrigley is protective of Grant, because one other time Dean went to grab Grant abruptly as he was about to fall, and Wrigley pounced towards him and started barking like crazy. So my guess is that he thinks Dean is trying to hurt Grant. Anyway, it was funny watching it all. Brynna's mom Collette ended up coming out in her robe to tell Brynna to get Wrigley in the house. Brynna was trying to pull him away, but that dog was persistent and very strong! All the while, Grant was just happily walking around in the yard without even seeming to notice what was going on!

While Grant took a nap, I made Dean's cake. One of the reasons I really like making two-layer cakes is that you can taste samples of it after taking it out of the oven.....you have to make the layers flat, you know??! Brynna came over and ate a piece, and Grant of course kept wanting more and more bites too. I hope he is not diabetic by the time he's three!

Anyway, later we went out to do a couple of errands, and Grant fell asleep in the car on the way home (which he doesn't do very often anymore). When he woke up around 4pm, we got in the car and headed straight for Texas Land and Cattle. Dean (like most guys) wanted a steak for his birthday dinner.....I will never understand boys and their extreme love of steak! Grant did okay for the first 20 minutes or so (and enjoyed playing with the crayons a little), but then his patience wore off. Once he was done eating his dinner, he wanted to be moving around. So we had to eat our meal really fast and rush out before Grant imploded on us. It was kind of disappointing to spend a lot on a meal and have to leave before you're ready, but I guess that's how it is with toddlers! The food wasn't that great, though....we'd never go back there again. And, we lost Grant's pacifier (and strap) in there too, so it was not the best experience!

We came home, put Grant to bed before too long, and ate some yummy chocolate cake. Then Dean and I watched "3:10 to Yuma." It was a really good movie.....we recommend it!

0 comments: