Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Some fun stories

After the last post, I want to post something more lighthearted. Grant and I do have a lot of fun together, even though my post on Sunday probably made it sound like we never do!

I haven't taken many pictures at all over the past couple of weeks.....about 130, to be exact, which is very few for me! I just uploaded them today and will post more in the next few days. These were taken on the day Tropical Storm Edouard came through, and Grant and I were inside most of the day. Lately, I guess Grant has seen the way Dean holds his Bible and notebook (under his arm).....Grant will go pick up Dean's notebook from his nightstand and walk around like this:




This one is a little blurry but I love his expression!
The past couple of days have been quite a bit better than last weekend; today, Dean was able to leave work at 6:30, and he actually ate dinner with us! Grant was elated to see him and had so much fun playing with him. It was nice to be able to spend about 2 hours of family time together before we put Grant to bed. We watched diving on the Olympics (Grant gets so excited when they're diving, then he says "boom!" when they hit the water.....Dean taught this to him last week!).

And....it's been cloudy, rainy and, most importantly, COOL outside for the past couple of days! Yesterday afternoon we took a walk down to our new neighbors' house and it was only 76 degrees.....at 4pm! Kinda funny....this morning Grant and I went to Randall's at 8:45am, and of course there were a bunch of people in line at the Starbucks kiosk. As we walked by, the lady at the front of the line said, "I think I'll have coffee today since it's cold outside." It made me laugh.....I guess when you're used to 85 degree temps at 8am, it does feel cold when it's rainy and in the low 70s! I thought that was unusual until I talked to my mom this afternoon, and she was making chili tonight because it felt "so cold" outside!

Okay, here are a couple of things Grant has done in the past few days that I thought were really cute and want to remember:

1) We were watching the Olympics one night and Grant noticed the Budweiser commercial with the Clydesdale horse training to the sound of the Rocky music. We ended up rewinding it and watching it 5 or 6 times....he kept saying "horse" to tell me that he wanted to watch it again. An hour or so later, we were upstairs playing before bed, and he heard the Rocky music playing on the TV downstairs. He sat still for a second, then said, "horse?" I was amazed that, after only watching it a handful of times, he remembered that the music was associated with the horse. What a smart little cookie! Okay, maybe it's not all that impressive, but I thought it was neat to see him make that connection!

2) One of his favorite books is his "Row Row" book.....a nursery rhyme book where the first story is "Row Your Boat." He has a handful of favorites in that book, one being "Rock-a-bye baby." He loves for me to sing that over and over again. The other night I was rocking him and said it was time to get in his crib, and he turned around, clutched my neck and said, "baby, baby" (trying to stall me for a few more minutes!). We hadn't even been reading that book that night. It's one of the first times he's shown a preference for a certain song. I'm glad he probably doesn't understand the lyrics, because they're a little disturbing!

3) We keep adding stuffed animals to his crib.....right now he has about 6 or 7 that regularly sleep with him. He doesn't hold any of them while he's sleeping, though....he actually throws them to the other side of the crib when he goes to sleep! And when he wakes up, he throws them all on the floor. I'd gotten tired of picking them up and throwing them all back in his crib, over and over again. So yesterday I put some of them into his bassinet, with all the other animals. Today when he got in his crib for his nap, he pointed to the bassinet and said "bear" (sounds like "bayo"). He noticed that his bear wasn't in his crib, where it was supposed to be! Then he did the same thing with his doggie ("wo wo") and his rhino.....all of the animals that I had moved to the bassinet.....he wanted them back! I guess he does appreciate them after all!

1 comments:

ClintandGina said...

Wow! He's gotten so big...still a cutie though. Another one due in October. I didn't even know you were pregnant. We are living in Victoria while Clint does PA rotations, so a little out of the First Baptist loop. I will start checking in with you guys more now via blogs!