Tuesday, August 5, 2008

TS Edouard

Tropical Storm Edouard came through today.....it's been about the only thing they've talked about on the news here in Houston in the past couple of days! Grant and I stayed in all morning....the storm came ashore a little bit east of Houston, but the bands moved counter-clockwise and dumped rain on us from the north. From about 8am on, we were pounded with quite a bit of rain and wind, but it really didn't seem much worse than a bad thunderstorm. It was weird, though, to see how the rain was coming in pretty much horizontally.

While Grant was eating breakfast (at around 9am.....he didn't wake up until about 8:30!), we had a few brownouts. It was funny seeing his reaction to the lights turning off, then on without us doing anything! He looked pretty amazed and kept saying "uh oh" and "woah!" After a few brownouts right in a row, all of our power went out. It actually stayed out for about two hours. And I realized that I didn't have any of the right batteries to power any of our radios, so I got out our emergency radio (which we got for our wedding and Dean insisted that we may need it at some point!). Grant was pretty impressed with it and learned the word "radio" from watching me crank it up!

By around 1pm, the storm was letting up quite a bit. So I took Grant in the car for a ride, to let him fall asleep. This has become my crutch lately....we're usually out in the morning doing errands, and I'll try to time it so he can fall asleep on our way home. But sometimes even if we're home all morning, I'll just put him in the car and start driving, and I usually don't even have to get very far before he conks out. I know I need to quit doing this before the baby comes.....it's not that he can't go to sleep on his own, but it's just easier (and faster) for me to bring him up to his crib when he's already asleep.

Anyway, our rain gauge showed only about 2.3 inches of rain for the day, but I think it was actually probably around 4 inches (our rain gauge sits on the south side of our house, so I think the house blocked a lot of the rain that was coming in horizontally from the north). We desperately need the rain, so I am hoping for another tropical storm before the season's over!

0 comments: