Friday, February 27, 2009

White Chili

This is a recipe that a friend made for us when I was 8 months pregnant with Drew. We loved it (even Dean, who detests soup AND beans!). We've made it a few times when we've had people over, and everyone has asked me for the recipe. I just realized I still haven't sent it to Leah and my mom, so I figured I'd just put it on the blog so other people might want to try it too. It is SO easy....after you cook and cut up the chicken, it takes about 15 minutes to finish!!

Ingredients:
2-3 cans Great Northern Beans (the chili is thicker with 3 cans, but I only put 2 because Dean isn't a huge fan!)
1.5 to 2 lb chicken breasts
2 cloves minced garlic
2 tsp cumin
cayenne pepper (I add about 8-10 shakes of it, then more until it's as spicy as I like it)
1/2 tsp oregano
2 cups chicken stock or canned broth
1 8-oz package of grated Colby/Monterrey Jack (or Mexican) cheese

Cook chicken and cut into bite-sized pieces. Add all ingredients into a pot and cook on medium-low heat until hot and cheese is melted. Be careful to stir occasionally so the cheese does not burn.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

This sounds great, I'll have to try it!

katy said...

And here I was, wondering what to make for dinner tonight. Problem solved!

Erin said...

Yum, that sounds awesome! I even have some great northern beans on hand, and have been looking for good recipes to try with them. If only I had a kitchen... :-) That will definitely be something I'll try out as soon as our new one is finished. Thanks for sharing!