Last week one night, Dean and I were painting in our bathroom (no, that project is STILL not finished, but getting close!). Grant kept yelling "Mommy!" underneath the door like he always does. I've stopped going in there, because he had started taking advantage of it; instead of being content with a few songs, he wanted me to rock him, then sing, then sit while he played, then rock again, etc. Then he'd throw a huge fit (and sometimes wake Drew up) when I left. I loved that time with him, but I'd get so angry at the end that it wasn't worth it!
Anyway, so he was yelling underneath the door and Dean had given him a couple of spankings already. We thought he finally was asleep, and I had to go downstairs for something. We saw that his light was on, so Dean went back in to investigate. He came back a second later and said that Grant was sitting in the glider, reading his Richard Scary book to himself! He'd figured out how to turn his lamp on, and must have decided that he just wasn't quite ready for bed yet!
So I went and listened to him for a minute......I could see under the door that he was just rocking away, and he was telling himself what he was seeing. "There's a big tractor. There's a hot dog car. Look at the big bus!" Then after a second, he said, "all done," and he got up and tried to turn the lamp off. After a minute or so, he finally got it.....then he went and laid down in bed!
Since then, we've noticed his light on probably three or four other times. Sometimes he turns it off my himself, but at least a couple of times (including tonight) he's gone to sleep with it still on. I think he likes feeling independent enough to read himself stories before bed. That little stinker has such a mind of his own......
January Lessons
10 years ago
3 comments:
CUTE! Love that story!
That's awesome! I love it, "There's a hot dog car." cute. :)
Aw, how adorable!! I love the Richard Scarry books. Drew now reads the same ratty book (missing more than half its pages) that we read as kids.
Post a Comment