Monday, July 13, 2009

Mr. Feisty

Some pictures of Drew being silly, followed by a lot of things I've been thinking about in the past couple of days. Warning....it's a little long but I am going to try to start using the blog as my scrapbook/journal about the kids. And Drew is changing so much right now that there are so many things I'm wanting to chronicle for posterity (I am so bad at remembering what he was like even 3 months ago.....I'll read a previous blog entry and think, "I don't remember him doing that at all!").



Drew is such a silly, feisty little guy these days. I love the 9-month mark....it has to be just about my favorite age. He loves to laugh and play games (he'll initiate peek-a-boo in his own way, by pulling objects in front of his face, then lowering them so he can see you), but he's not quite old enough to get really upset when things don't go his way (although I can tell he's getting close!). He is very independent, though.....except for applesauce last night, I can't remember any time in the past couple of weeks that he's allowed me to spoon-feed him anything. And when we read books before naptime and bedtime, he wants to turn the pages and be in control of what he looks at. He's not interested in books that are just words and pictures....he wants to be lifting flaps or feeling textures (he especially loves the mirrors on his Peek-A-Zoo book). If I try to read a book that doesn't have these things, he'll look at the first page and shove it to the side with his hand!

He's discovered the toilet and will stick his hands all over it (and probably inside) if you don't close the lid quickly enough! And he loves spinning the toilet paper and getting it all over the floor. He also explores everything now.....if I open the refrigerator or dishwasher, he'll crawl over and start pulling things out. He also does this in the pantry, kitchen cupboards, and the toy bins in our living room. He's definitely in the "let's pull everything out, bang things together and make a huge mess" stage.

In the past week or so, he has discovered the joy of splashing in the bathtub. He gets in, sits down, and just splashes away! We try to tell Grant not to splash in the tub, but it's hard telling him no while we let Drew do it. Drew has also become quite brave in the tub, crawling from one side to the other in no time. The past two nights, he's had little accidents where he's ended up swallowing water. Hopefully they've taught him to be a little more careful!

And....in the span of about a week, he's pretty much completely lost interest in breastfeeding. Now he doesn't even want it in the mornings or at bedtime....so strange how it seems like it happened overnight! This wouldn't be a huge problem (I don't feel like I'm making much now anyway), except for the fact that he doesn't like formula! And it's too early to start him on cow's milk. Hmm....not sure what to do about this because the nurse told me that he should be drinking 20 oz. of formula or breastmilk every day. Tonight he simply refused to breastfeed.....we read a couple of stories, then he kept pushing me away when I laid him down to eat! So I laid him in his bed and he just shimmied around for a few minutes until he got comfortable, then he fell asleep! This is a really strange sight for me, because just a few months ago he was crying like crazy when I'd leave his room. It's a relief to see that he is capable of just laying down and falling asleep on his own (with the help of his little green blanky).

1 comments:

Yee Peng said...

You were right about weaning. Emelyn just stopped wanting breastmilk at around 13 months. That was a sign a relief!