Thursday, June 4, 2009

Bedtime

In the eight months since Drew was born, we've had a bedtime routine where Daddy puts Grant to bed, and I always put Drew to bed. Grant was really a mommy's boy before Drew came along, but he's done great with Dean doing the bedtime routine.

A couple of weeks ago, after Drew and Grant were both in bed one night, I was in the study and Grant came to his door and started calling out, "Mommy! Mommy!" I went to the door, and he wanted me to come in and sing songs to him. So I did it.....who could refuse a question like that?? (Well, I might have if it had been a lousy day!).

Anyway.....he did it the next night too, and the next.....and now it has become a part of our routine. Dean leaves the room, and usually less than a minute later, Grant's at the door asking for me. After a few nights of this, Dean suggested trying to break him of the habit. But I really don't mind it. In fact, it's usually the best one-on-one time I have with Grant all day! We always have fun conversations (he tells me about things that supposedly happened that day, whether they really did or not), and he has a few songs that he always asks me to sing (Jesus Loves Me, Rock a Bye Baby, and Seek Ye First....he calls this song "the King."). The past few nights he has been singing Jesus Loves Me along with me.

About a week ago, I suggested that he sleep with a pillow like a big boy (he'd been sleeping scrunched up at the top of his bed, just like he did in his crib!). So now when I go in, he usually tells me, "look, Mommy, I'm gonna sleep like a big boy! Just like Mommy and Dada sleep."

And tonight, he told me, "we go rock for just a few minutes. Then you go downstairs and make stuff. And make food." So I guess he thinks this is what I do when I go downstairs after putting him to bed! He also told me tonight (after we rocked and got back into bed), "don't leave me, Mommy." It's not that he's scared or anything.....I guess he just enjoys the company! This is very humbling, especially considering that I feel like I don't treat him very well on so many days....yelling at him more than I should and having so little patience with him.

I am a very blessed mommy, to have such a sweet (even though VERY headstrong!) little boy!

1 comments:

katy said...

So sweet! I think it's great that he wants time with both of you at the end of the day. When I was little, my parents had a routine of telling me and my brother to go hop in bed. Then they would (together) visit each room and tuck us in. It was fun, and neat to hear them in my brother's room saying the same prayers that they would then come say with me!