Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Herrman Park and the Zoo

Two Fridays ago, the boys and I went up to town for a quick trip. First we drove through West University while Drew finished his nap. If we had all the money in the world and for some reason decided to stay in Houston, that is where I'd want to live. The houses are perfect, there are trees covering the streets, and it's smack dab in the middle of Houston.....close to everything. I feel so jealous every time I ride through there!

We had to make a stop at Bering's (a very fun hardware/gift store) because I had to use up the remainder of a gift card from our wedding.....4 years ago!!! Grant acted very well.....I bribed him with a sucker, and told him that we weren't going to the park afterwards unless he behaved. I would've loved to look around for an hour, but that's not a luxury I can enjoy these days......in about five years the kids will be in school and I can do all the browsing around in stores that I want!

After we left, we drove over to Herrman Park (one of my all-time favorite places). We didn't ride the train this time, but instead just ate lunch by the reflecting pool. First, I laid out some cheerios for Drew, and Grant wanted some too.......

Then Drew started stealing Grant's food.....it was interesting because Drew has always been strapped into his chair while I've fed him, until this time. He was so persistent, and kept crawling over to Grant to steal his rice cakes. (By the way, I am not putting Grant on a diet.....those flavored rice cakes from Quaker are yummy, and Grant likes them too!). Anyway, Drew has become quite the little scavenger.....more about that later, but he LOVES to eat table foods now (but not much baby food anymore).A few more pictures....

Then we walked over to the zoo, mostly because I had to pick up Grant's shoe that we lost on our last trip. The boys were both very tired, but we were going to try to see a few things. We only made it to the muskrats......and then Drew started crying and Grant kept begging me to go back to see this fountain that we passed: Yes.....we went to the zoo, and this is what Grant most wanted to see! I took a picture of it.....and some people looked at me, then the fountain, as if to say, "are we missing something? why is she taking a picture of that fountain?"

I got the boys in the car at noon, and they were both asleep within three minutes. I drove and drove and drove that afternoon.....they both slept for two hours! It was actually a nice break for me....these days I would probably have driven around for another hour if it meant another hour of naptime!

3 comments:

Sara said...

Great pictures!!! Yes, I'm with you - it's amazing what we'll do to prolong the silence for just a little while longer :0

Lindsay said...

I remember those days with Noah. I drove forever so he would sleep!! I miss that. Kate and Kara don't sleep in the car.. oh well..

lacy said...

Oh how I loved Herman Park and the zoo as a kid! It was one of our fave thing to do with our Mema!