Last Wednesday, after spending the morning at VBS, the boys took marathon naps in the afternoon. They both woke up around 4:30pm, so I knew they wouldn't be going to bed early that night. So we thought it would be a good night to do something fun....and we decided to drive to Galveston. It's only about 30 miles from our house, so we should go more.....I say that every year, but it just takes a lot of preparation to go to the beach with kids!
Anyway, we got down there around 6:45pm, and it was wonderful! We didn't have to lather on the sunscreen or worry about getting too hot. Grant played in the water (we forgot his swimsuit but he was wary of going in too deep anyway), and Drew got super dirty playing in the sand for a few mintues. Then Grant discovered shells.....he thought they were pretty neat and enjoyed collecting a handful of them.
Here's Drew being silly in the car......
When we first arrived.....
Drew was intrigued by the sand and water......Sandy little chubby foot!
Searching for shells.....
I think they must be bringing in new sand to replenish the beach after Ike.....there were mounds of sand like this all the way down the beach. Grant had fun jumping off of it (jumping off high places is one of his favorite things right now).
Sleepy Drew.......
And being at the beach at sunset is just so peaceful......I think I especially enjoyed it just because my life is so crazy right now. I didn't want to leave! In this stage of life, where I just feel exhausted at the end of every day, I've been finding comfort in some very basic things. I thought I was going to heaven last week at Kroger when Starbucks was giving out free samples of white mocha. It was a rare occasion when I didn't have either child with me.....so I just stood there while I drank it. I don't think anything has ever tasted so good to me.....I would love to have a morning when I could just go to Starbucks by myself and read a magazine while I drink a white mocha! Of course I realize that before I know it, the boys will be grown and I'll have all the free time in the world.....and I'll wish they were young again!
January Lessons
10 years ago
6 comments:
I love these pictures - all of them!! Looks like you guys had such a great time. Glad to know Galveston is still on the map - we haven't been since the hurricane and I've heard differing reports.
What fun! I know what you mean about being exhausted at the end of every day. Johnny and I always look at each other and ask where night went. Still, I remind myself that I will yearn for these magical days when Ava was little when she is all grown up. It is funny how you start to appreciate the little things like shopping by yourself for an hour or actually getting to read a chapter in a book. :)
Looks great -- I especially love the sandy foot picture. That could be really cute in a frame!
I know what you mean about wanting time for yourself. I especially feel guilty when I want that, since I am at work and away from my family all day. My mommy guilt says I should spend every other waking moment with James. But I can't help wanting an hour or two totally to myself sometimes.
Drew's chubby foot looks like mine right now! seriously... Looks like a fun evening-
These pictures are fabulous - so many of them are 'frame worthy'! Looks like a wonderful, relaxing evening at the beach. Way to take advantage of the long summer evenings on marathon nap days... :)
Amazing pictures!
Post a Comment