Recently I became curious and went on a search to find out more about blood types. You always hear about universal donors and universal recipients, but I can never remember the details. So I found these charts that I thought were interesting. Here's the breakdown of the U.S. population:
I always assumed that every blood type was just about as common as every other, but apparently the majority of people in the U.S. (over 70%) are either O positive or A positive. So then you can look at this next chart and see what types of blood you can receive for your blood type. I'm A negative.....so it's a little scary to think that if I ever need blood, I'd have to get it from a person who's either A negative or O negative (only 13% of the population, combined). It makes me want to go donate!!
| If your blood type is: | You can receive: | |||||||
| O- | O+ | B- | B+ | A- | A+ | AB- | AB+ | |
| AB+ | yes | yes | yes | yes | yes | yes | yes | yes |
| AB- | yes | yes | yes | yes | ||||
| A+ | yes | yes | yes | yes | ||||
| A- | yes | yes | ||||||
| B+ | yes | yes | yes | yes | ||||
| B- | yes | yes | ||||||
| O+ | yes | yes | ||||||
| O- | yes | |||||||
2 comments:
Interesting! I'm O, but I can never remember whether I'm positive or negative. I probably should know what type everyone in our family is; seems like one of those questions that would come in handy some day.
I'm O-. Wouldn't remember that, except for the fun shots that come from being pregnant and having a negative blood type.
Post a Comment