.....that if a store charges you too much for something (and you have to come back for them to correct it), you should get the item for free? This has happened so much lately. I'm diligent about checking my receipt as I'm walking out of a store, or as soon as I get to the car (I try to watch as items are being scanned, but that doesn't happen much now with two kids in tow!). And now twice in the last four days, I've had to go back into the store to have money refunded to me.
On Sunday, we all went to Bed Bath and Beyond. Two things were priced wrong (I found out as we were getting in the car): contact solution was marked $6.99 in the store (it rang up as $7.49), and a set of contact cases were marked $2.49 in the store (they rang up $3.99). Dean stayed with the boys while I went inside and spent another seven or eight minutes with the lady. She had to walk back to the aisle with me, verify their price, then refund the original items and charge me the correct price. I only got back $2.22, so it seemed silly to go back for such little money. But it would be ridiculous to let the store overcharge like that and get away with it!
Then today, Drew and I were leaving Target when I realized we were charged $3.99 each for two packages of ground beef that were marked on sale for $2.99. It was only $2, but that was the whole reason I bought them....because they were each a dollar off! So we waited in line at customer service, all to get the money back that I shouldn't have paid to begin with!
And it's especially frustrating when you've got little kids. It's not easy to take your kids back into a store once you've gotten in the car......and it just seems wrong to have to go through the time and trouble when the store wrongly charged me 25% too much to begin with. A couple of times I've asked if I could get the item for free (when it's something cheap), and I've always been told that it's not their policy. If it happens again at Target, I will probably demand to get the item for free (or else I'll just grab a donut for myself and the kids on the way out!).
January Lessons
10 years ago
3 comments:
I absolutely totally agree! Our "local" grocery store has this as a policy and it's one of the reasons I shop there. I also believe that if there is any catch to a sale it should be spelled out in big letters so that everyone can be informed prior to checking out. Of course there is a story there...I think you just cured my blogger's block. :-)
Kroger also has that as a policy. And I have found I really have to watch HEB in the produce section - almost every time, something rings up wrong. But I catch it before I get to the register (because they have those scales where you can get the price printed ahead of time), so they just price adjust it. Makes me wonder how many people are overpaying though.
OK, I know I'm late responding to this... but after reading your post the other day I thought "hum, that hasn't happened to me in a long time"... only to go into Target that same afternoon and have TWO things ring up incorrectly. And not just by a buck, but with a difference of $3 each for things that were supposed to cost $3.50 and $4. I was so steamed when I got out to the car... but it's just like you said - with two little ones in tow who are already cranky, the last thing I'm going to do is waste time standing in line at Customer Service just so they can send people out to do a price check. I wonder just how common and intentional this really is? If 4 out of 5 people either don't notice or don't do anything about it, it seems like they have quite an incentive to continue.
Post a Comment