Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Oh, the days

When Dean and I read The Five Love Languages before we got married, the love language that seemed to fit the most for me was "quality time."  I just love having good conversations with people and feeling like I've gotten to know them more through a conversation.  I'm sure this has a lot to do with just being a girl, too....relationships are important, and it makes me feel good when I feel close to my friends.

With Dean, I guess that translates into me wanting to talk his ear off once the boys go to bed.....most nights I don't like just watching tv and going to bed without talking about things on my mind or asking him his opinion about something.  And I'm sure it also results from sometimes not having any other adult conversation all day!

Today after Bible study the boys and I got together with a few friends for lunch.  Between three of us girls, we had six kids running around (or in the case of babies Ella and Kate, laying on their blankets).  But all four boys (including Drew) were going up and down the stairs, running around, getting into arguments, taking toys from each other, etc.  This is how all playdates work....it's inevitable!  But it's so sad when there are so many things I'm excited to talk about with other girls, and you just don't have the ability to have a complete conversation!  By the time someone goes to talk to their child and comes back, you've moved onto something else.  Then another person has to run off for a second to take care of a diaper....on and on. 

So.....I was thinking today how much I miss the days when I could get together with friends and just talk for as long as we wanted, with no interruptions.  And I know that of course this is impossible with small kids.....but it would be nice if it happened just once every couple of weeks!  It stinks not being able to talk about things in depth, because you're trying to have a conversation while at the same time making sure your kids are not killing themselves (or each other).

That's just something I've been thinking about the past few days......I guess it's just one of the things that comes with the territory!

And....tonight we drove past the church that always hosts the pumpkin patch in our area, and they were dropping the pumpkins off as we drove by.   But I'm not going anywhere near there with the kids until it actually feels like fall here!  Today and yesterday have been sweltering.....it feels worse than it did in August.  It's been in the high 80s/low 90s, but the heat index has been like 109 degrees.   Where did my gorgeous October weather go??  :(

2 comments:

Me said...

I saw them dropping off the pumpkins yesterday too! My mom is in a Tuesday morning Bible Study at Sagemont, where they provide childcare and they have small groups that even go out to lunch together a couple of times during the study. I know it's not the same as sitting down with your girlfriends, but I just thought I'd mention it as something where you could have adult conversation and a break from the boys. The registration for this "semester" is closed, but if you are interested, I can let you know next time they are having sign-ups.

Kristen said...

I've been meaning to comment for a while - I read blogs in Google Reader now and you can't comment there -arg. Anyway, the boys are just adorable. I can't believe how big Drew is now. Um...yeah...I weight Cassidy a few days ago - 23 lbs. That's right. Crazy. She's down to 23 oz. of formula - she really doesn't overeat - she's just HUGE. But as you can tell from the sleeves, it's length, not weight (well, not JUST weight!).

I'm still waiting for the pumpkin patch! Hopefully this saturday - I can't go without Chad for the first time. I can't wait to see your pics - isn't it so fun to have two little ones? Not that one baby isn't a family, but two makes it for real. :)

I miss the conversations too...and I follow Chad around like a little puppy when he gets home, too! That, or I dump Cassidy on him and go get on the computer. :)