We were tearing wallpaper in our bathroom on Saturday and Dean grabbed this paper bag to contain our mess. About a month ago, I had randomly asked for paper bags at Kroger instead of plastic, and all of them were brightly colored and decorated with various "be kind to the earth" types of messages.
Anyway, this one was particularly amusing to me. "Save the bees. They are coming exstinct." Excuse me?? First of all, are bees really on the verge of extinction? Maybe so, but I had no idea. Second, does this look like the handwriting of a seven or eight-year old?? I would expect a first or second grader to use the term "coming extinct," but to me, this looks more like the handwriting of a fourth or fifth grader (I had a brief period in 5th grade where I wrote my a's like this!). If so, shouldn't a ten-year-old know better than to use the term "coming extinct?" Not to mention that extinct is spelled wrong (although I can somewhat understand that....I guess it's not the most simple word to spell).
I guess I just wish that schools would spend a little less time teaching/scaring kids about climate change (and how we're supposedly destroying our planet), and more time making sure kids actually know how to spell and write a gramatically-correct sentence!!
Okay, that is my soap box and political message for tonight!
January Lessons
10 years ago
2 comments:
It looks like a rebus, rather than a misspelling. They drew a picture of a bee and as you read, the picture takes the place of the "be" in the becoming. Save the bees. They are BEE-coming extinct! :-)
I know what you mean.
The schools here are not teaching "Spelling" any more.They think teaching to the "Test" is better than knowing how to spell corectly,or even knowing how to form a correct sentence.
They think that since everything is done on the computer nowdays, that the kids can just use the spellcheck and make everything ok.
Post a Comment