Sunday, May 31, 2009

Prodigal Kitty


Anyone who was reading our blog about a year ago knows the pains we've gone through with our firstborn, Amminadab. We adopted him and his (now) sister Scooter just after we got married. When we moved into our current house almost two years ago, he didn't handle the change well. He tore up our couch like crazy (this started in the old house, but here he did it with an added vigor!). So about 15 months ago, we had him declawed. Right afterwards, we noticed that he had been spraying in a few places (yes, he is neutered). So after some efforts to get him to stop, we had no choice but to make this recently-declawed kitty an outside cat.

For the most part, he seems to really enjoy being outside. But he's gotten more and more brave, and he'll venture over to other yards every day. Well, a few weeks ago, he went missing for a few days. We had almost written him off when one night he appeared on the back porch!

Then.....last Sunday when we went to Bryan, we came home and didn't see him outside. All week, no sign of him. This time, I was pretty much convinced that we would never see him again. But.....this morning (after an entire week), Dean and Grant went downstairs, and here comes Amminadab, walking up to the back door! He ate a whole cup of food in about five minutes, and then meowed for more!

I'm glad to have him home.....even with all the angst he's caused, it was still so wonderful to see him again. I'm trying to be extra nice to him, to hopefully encourage him not to wander off so far again! Mainly, I just want to know where the heck he went! It would be so interesting to have some kind of tracking device on him, to see where his travels have taken him!

2 comments:

EBPitcher said...

When I was growing up we had a kitty once that did this, although he wasn't declawed. We had an open field, much like you do, very nearby and he would often bring us gifts. He was a mighty hunter! And then one day he didn't come home. It was sad for us, but at least I knew he was happy out hunting. I often wondered exactly what he did when he went adventuring...

CONGRATS - you made your goal for May! Gonna keep it up now that it's a habit?!? Even if you don't, GOOD JOB!
-EBP-

CS said...

Cats are so mysterious! I'm glad Amminadab is back! :-)